Fondant Frustrations

Decorating By vtjilly Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 2:17pm by vtjilly

vtjilly Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 3

I spent two hours last night just trying to cover a 14 inch square cake! I've always used MMF, but since I had to cover the cake in jet black I decided to try Satin Ice. The night before I used the Satin ice to cover the corresponding 6 inch and 10 inch round. Covering went ok, but I had some problems with it tearing which I just chucked up to me using it for the first time. However, last night was a HUGE frustration--no matter what I did, the fondant cracked. Why in the world would it crack and tear so easily? Was my Satin ice bad or something? I massaged it forever and it was good and pliable, but once I tried to roll it out it was a mess. All in all, it took about 10 pounds of fondant to cover a 14 inch square cake and it was just not pretty in the end.

So frustrated!

2 replies
DianeLM Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 3

Satin Ice black and red are softer than uncolored fondant. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing you added too much powdered sugar when you were rolling it out to compensate for the softness.

Whenever I use black or red, I knead in a little tylose powder (1/2 tsp per pound) then let the fondant rest and firm up before using it.

Also, I never use powdered sugar when rolling out fondant. Fondant absorbs sugar, which will eventually dry it out. I always use corn starch. Although corn starch can be absorbed, it doesn't have the drying properties of sugar and provides a more slippery surface so the fondant doesn't stick to the rolling surface.

Of course, for every person who says they don't use powdered sugar, 5 more people will say it's the best thing ever. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif One person's "never" is another person's "always". Gotta love that about cake decorating.

vtjilly Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks Diane for the feedback. I did actually use cornstarch the first time I rolled it out and it was cracking like mad. So, I pulled it altogether to massage it back together and had to use crisco to get it to smooth again, but as soon as I rolled it back out it cracked. Perhaps the weather had some type of impact on it. I guess the good news is that I got a GREAT arm workout!

Thanks for the Tylose powder tip--I'll try that next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%