How Much Would U Charge For A Cake Like This One?

Decorating By cakesbytuti Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 3:30am by dandelion56602

cakesbytuti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbytuti Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 14

Hello everybody, I am new in this cake decorating buisness ,up untill now i made cakes only for friends and family and i would like to start selling.

I live in Long Island NY and i dont know anybody in my area who does simillar cakes so I have no idea about pricing.

I've been doing mostly cakes for kids birthday...

how much would u charge for a cake like this one?-(9" )
LL

13 replies
cakesbytuti Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 14

icon_confused.gif
LL

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 14

Could you give an idea of the cake sizes?

cakesbytuti Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 14

round choclate cake with . and the other one is a 9" choclate with choclate buttercream filling on the bottom tier and a 6" half a ball pan- both choclate cakes.
I maid these cake a month ago so and they were'nt for sale (one was for my daughter and the other one for my niece) so these r just an example for the cakes that i make and i just wanted to get an idea about pricing.

Thank u... icon_biggrin.gif

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 14

I would charge $60 not including the topper. I don't know how much those are individually priced.

Editted to add that I was talking about the one on the bottom. Not too sure on the Snow White one.

jen2184 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen2184 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 14

i price my cakes depending on size, servings and if its either BC or Fondant and especially if its a custome cake i usually charge a little more. but it all depends

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 14

When I think about pricing, I like a quote from Collette Peters (during a demo at one of our state ICES Days of Sharing): " Think high, and double it!" icon_lol.gif

Seriously, your work is amazing! For fondant work and figurines? At LEAST $75! But if you don't feel comfortable with that, I'd say go for $50.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 14

I do $2.50 per serving, plus an extra $10 for the figurines.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 14

Wow! Your work is beautiful. You will do well!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 14

I charge $4 to $5 per serving, explaining the difference in price to my customers with photos showing plain cakes with perhaps dots and a bow compared to cakes with more detail and extras like luster dusts, cake jewels, sugar crystals, flowers and figures. No one has complained.

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 14

Given your location and your work you could charge quite a bit more then people are saying. I wouldn't charge any less then $4.75 to $5.oo per serving, plus charge more for any figurines you do. They are custom so people should pay custom prices. Once again, in your market everything is more expensive. Your cakes should follow suite.

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:47pm
post #12 of 14

I charge the per serving price first, and charge extra for any figurines it depends on the time and difficulty of the topper anywhere from $15.00 to $35.00 or more.

cakesbytuti Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:45am
post #13 of 14

to all of you !! icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:30am
post #14 of 14

I would charge more for figures. I would go by how long it takes (if you're a beginner you might want to curb it). But if it takes you 2 hrs, pay yourself say $10/hr, then $20 for the figure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%