Sugar Shacks Icing

Decorating By nancylynwallace Updated 16 May 2008 , 8:54pm by SugarBakerz

nancylynwallace Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:59am
post #1 of 24

I'm new to cc and keep seeing comments about Sugar Shack's buttercream icing. Can someone give me the recipe?

Thank you!

23 replies
kwdonlon Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 24

Go to "Search" or "Recipes" and put in "Sugarshacks Buttercream Icing"

nancylynwallace Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 24

Thank you...DUH, I didn't even think of that

lolabunny7178 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 24

I'm not sure if you saw on the other posts but she also has a youtube video showing how she makes it. It's great, it was really helpful. I'm not sure how to post the link, or I would, I guess you could search for sugarshack video's on youtube.

kwdonlon Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 24

Sugarshack's video:

nancylynwallace Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 24

Thank you, you guys are the greatest!! I am HOOKED on this website because of the nice people like you!!

tonimarie Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 24

Do you use this icing recipe for borders and roses as well?

grannys3angels Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:36am
post #9 of 24

Hello Tonimarie,
I use Sharon's (Sugarshack) bc icing recipe, yes, I do use it for roses and borders. Only one time did I have trouble, but that was because I got my icing to thin...I added to much liquid. Hope that helps you out.

God Bless,

tonimarie Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:05pm
post #10 of 24

thank you sharon!

grannys3angels Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:24am
post #11 of 24

Your Welcome Tonimarie!

God Bless,

tracycakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 24

I don't do a lot of cakes but I made some a month ago or so and have kept in the freezer. It has worked well on everything I tried, fbct, borders, cupcakes. I haven't made any roses with it but I think it would do Wonderfully. icon_biggrin.gif

lovetofrost Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 24

I made this today and really like the consistency.

kellygray79 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:50pm
post #14 of 24

Have any of you done a cake with her icing on a cake that was outside? I am doing a wedding cake the first week in May in Texas so it should be in the 80's and it will be in the shade bue I was curious if anyone could tell me their experience. I love her icing recipe it has been GREAT! I did have to experiment with the amount of powdered sugar b/c we are way above sea level on the caprock in Lubbock, Texas but it has been a godsend!!!

kellygray79 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 4:34pm
post #15 of 24

sugarshack Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:28pm
post #16 of 24

I have not done one outside, but my thoughts are that it will not melt if in the shade, but of course it will probably sweat.

sweetpea1972 Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:51pm
post #17 of 24

I have another side question: I made Sugarshack's icing last weekend (wonderful icon_biggrin.gif ) and used some of it last night. I seemed to have alot of air in or something, because it wasn't nearly as smooth as it was when I first made it. Are you supposed to re-beat it before using it again? I know it sounds dumb, sorry icon_redface.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 16 May 2008 , 3:42pm
post #18 of 24

Sweetpea, I experienced the same problem. I waited a few days, and then wanted to mix in colors. Sorry I don't have a fix!

I used a hot spatula and it smoothed out perfectly.

Does the recipe lend itself to chocolate? Anyone know how much cocao powder to add?

sweetpea1972 Posted 16 May 2008 , 3:48pm
post #19 of 24

she mentioned a chocolate version on another post. I don't know how to link it, but this is what i copied.

choc recipe:

2.5 cups butter
2,5 cups short
splash vanilla
dump in cocoa ( dont measure)
5 pounds PS
coffee creamer liquid as needed

crusts well, no fridge needed. YAY!

I used the hot spatula also and it worked pretty well, but it just wasn't as easy as last week!

CarolAnn Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:03pm
post #20 of 24

Just try stirring it down with a spoon. That's what I do to get the sir out. And I always stir bc well after it's been sitting.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:08pm
post #21 of 24

thanks for the chocolate recipe!!. Only fresh icing for me from now on as well icon_smile.gif

My bf this year requested a PLAIN chocolate birthday cake. I have been racking my brain for what "plain" is. I am use to 3d cars, characters, and crazy cakes, and he says plain. grr.

So I decided to make it the smoothest chocolate cake with a simple border and great tasting... Sugarshacks plain icing is amazing, so I can only imagine the chocolate. Does she suggest any flavorings? (besides coffee types)

For dinner I am making him a meatloaf "cake" iced in mashed potatoe that I saw on Martha Stewart icon_smile.gif lol.

SugarBakerz Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:23pm
post #22 of 24

I only use shortening in my icing for this recipe... mainly because it is humid and hot down here in SE Alabama.... I haven't had any problems with this icing at all.... it is beautiful to use, beautiful to smooth and creates beautiful trim... I am working on a cake right now with drop flowers on the sides of the tiers and they hung on the side like champions!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 16 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #23 of 24

I was wondering about the butter... I live in FL.. and we are friends hot and humid icon_smile.gif

I will leave it out. And see how it tasts that way.

Carol I will try mixing it better as well icon_smile.gif

SugarBakerz Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:54pm
post #24 of 24

I haven't ever put butter in the sugarshack version... only shortening and my customers rave about it. Her icing recipe produces such a silky textured icing, and the flavor is just right when using the recipe with shortening only. I have never had a problem with this icing, I pray I can say that in a month when we really get slammed. Let us know how your "try" goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%