Help How Do I Put Stripes On A Tiered Cake?

Decorating By KateRT Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 2:11pm by PattyT

KateRT Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:58am
post #1 of 4

Hi I am wanting to make a tiered cake and one of the tiers to be striped different shades of pink. Whats the best way to do this? Do i cover the tier in sugarpaste (i think in the usa you call it fondant) and then re cover with a stipe at a time or do i just put a stripe one at a stime onto the cake? Help any ideas?

3 replies
lovetofrost Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:04am
post #2 of 4

I've seen it done both ways. To me covering it in fondant and then piping the different shades with icing would seem easiest. I've also seen different shades of fondant cut out and layered on fondant. hope this helps.

kelly75 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:53am
post #3 of 4

I just posted a picture of a cake with stripes on it! I covered the cake first and then applied the stripes to it. Covering the cakes with fondant first will help keep all your stripes level and stop any buttercream from seeping throught the joins. When I did a Pirate ship last year, I cut seperate 'planks' of wood from fondant, and even though I placed them very carefully side-by-side, you could still see the buttercream through some of the seams.

PattyT Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 4

Wow kelly75! I just looked at your "40" cake and the stripes are amazing.

I'm on this thread because I'm doing stripes on a 12" round base layer. Fondant on fondant as you suggested.

Stripes seem simple, but when I draw it out on paper, it's all angles - and not so simple after all. Help!

Do you cut and piece each strip, or cut a bunch and recut to fit? Do you use a bit of vodka or water to stick? Any other tips?

Sorry for all the questions - first time stripes ACK!

Thanks - Pat

Quote by @%username% on %date%