Okay All You Fab. Decorators I Need Some Serious Help Asap!!

Decorating By rachpizano Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 2:28am by FromScratch

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:19am
post #1 of 16

I have a client that email this picture. At first glance I am thinking no problem chocolate fondant. I can totally do that. After I read the description I found out that this cake is covered in ganache. How in the world is this cake covered in ganache SOME ONE HELP. She wants this perfect finish in ganache just like this cake. This cake is at Brides.com number 28

Thanks
Rachel
LL

15 replies
Howiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Howiesmom Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:29am
post #2 of 16

My sister's sister in law had this exact cake at her wedding. It was chocolate fondant. It looked exactly like this. I'd just go with chocolate fondant.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:30am
post #3 of 16

When is the wedding? One way to get around that and suggest the chocolate fondant is bringing up the weather - the fondant is going to hold up so much better I would think if it is going to be warm. Tell her you don't want to see her lovely cake melt

Alicia

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:31am
post #4 of 16

I don't know how this was done, but this is what I would do.

First, I'd ice the top of the cake with ganache. Second, I'd cut acetate to fit around the cake, with perhaps 1/4 inch overlap.

Create a very thick ganache (not so much cream). Spread ganache over the acetate and chill until it is slightly firm. Wrap acetate around the cake (ganache side toward the cake), tape it together, refrigerate layer until firm, and then remove the acetate.

I've done similar things with chocolate, but never with ganache.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:34am
post #5 of 16

Well, in taking a look at it, I think that it might be WRAPPED in chocolate. But I really don't know for sure. I would think that it would be easier to do it wrapped. But then again, I tend to eat all of my ganache before it gets to the cake! Good luck!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:37am
post #6 of 16

Okay.... I checked it out and it actually says it is ganache covered in rolled chocolate. So instead of doing BC under the choco fondant you do ganache.

Gorgeous cake.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:47am
post #7 of 16

rolled chocolate=chocolate leather=chocolate clay=modeling chocolate.

All the same.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:48am
post #8 of 16

The description reads "rolled chocolate." My opinion is that the rolled chocolate looks more like chocolate clay than rolled fondant, especially the attached leaves.

I could be wrong. I've just never seen chocolate fondant which was so close to the color of cocoa powder before. Can anyone venture a guess as to which brand of rolled fondant that could be?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:59am
post #9 of 16

I agree with reading it as ganache under rolled chocolate. But hell, the dark chocolate Satin Ice tastes just liked rolled chocolate to me! (Well, alright, a Tootsie Roll).

SI is definately that dark cocoa color. But I do make my own now that I've discovered adding cocoa powder to MMF and it tastes an awful lot like the SI version.

Anyway, I'll bet you can convince the bride to do ganache UNDER chocolate fondant if you are having nightmares about chocolate transfers.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:04am
post #10 of 16

You can get ganache to look like that.. you just need to let it get to room temp and it spreads just like buttercream. Then you can smooth it with a warm (not hot) bench scraper. icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:06am
post #11 of 16

I was thinking about an acetate wrap, like you would use to make a chocolate wrap, then using Melvira's roller to smooth out any bumps or air bubbles.

Edited to say -

Of course, then you would have to refrigerate the cake to make the ganache hard enough to remove the wrap without removing the ganache.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:22am
post #12 of 16

Thanks guys you totaly rock. I didn't even see that it was ganache with rolled chocolate. What is Rolled chocolate.
Whats the difference between chocolate fondant and rolled chocolate and what ever else is out there what would be best to use?
Thanks
rachel

playingwithsugar Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:03am
post #13 of 16

The difference between rolled chocolate and chocolate fondant is mostly in it's interpretation. Some members here on the thread seem to feel that rolled chocolate is the same as chocolate rolled fondant.

My interpretation is different, in that I believe rolled chocolate to be chocolate clay, which is rolled out and used in lieu of chocolate rolled fondant. Chocolate clay consists of melted chocolate mixed with a small amount of corn syrup, or glucose, depending upon where you are. It is mixed together, then kneaded for a while to make it smooth.

The choice is really yours. According to one of the posts, chocolate Satin Ice is the same color as the cake posted, and has the taste of Tootsie Rolls. I will have to take the poster's word on that, as I have never used their chocolate fondant. I use chocolate clay, or straight chocolate wraps, when I do my practice cakes.

But I will tell you that you could swear me in, by Satin Ice white fondant, which I use often.

There is at least one recipe for chocolate clay in the recipe section, if you want to try making some, and see if you like it or not. It is inexpensive to make.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:51pm
post #14 of 16

Chocolate clay can be very expensive to make actually. If you use real chocolate and not candy melts (yuck-a) it's definitely not cheap stuff. Considering you would need 3 pounds of chocolate to cover a 6-8-10 tiered cake. BUT.. it is VERY good. It tastes like the chocolate you use and not like a tootsie roll.

It's hard to work with in that it takes a LONG time kneading it to make it workable and you need to work quickly to assure that you can smooth it.. and when you do smooth it you need to be careful that you don't make it shiny in spots. Doing it as a wrap would be easier because you wouldn't have to get it to conform to the cake.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:48pm
post #15 of 16

Ooo!! I saw this last week on brides.com. I think it's fondant. Let me go find it...

edited to add: it's rolled chocolate? what is that? chocopan or modelling chocolate? http://www.brides.com/weddingstyle/cakes/feature/slide/124786/detail/124803

FromScratch Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:28am
post #16 of 16

I would assume rolled chocolate would be modelling chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%