Please Someone Help Adding Fondant To Rice Krispy Bassinette

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 10:42pm by ceshell

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:00am
post #1 of 4

I have made a baby bassinet out of rice krispy's I want to add fondant to it to decorate it for the top of a baby shower cake does anyone know how I would go about doing this Please help

Molly2

3 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:01am
post #2 of 4

I'm not sure exactly what you're having a problem with but I do think that first and foremost you should consider icing your rkt with either BC or else royal icing, to create a nice smooooth surface for your fondant to lay on top of. While fondant will easily stick to rkt if you just mist them first, it may show every lump and bump in those rkt.

Hope this helps - please post more specifically what issues you're having if it doesn't help icon_smile.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 4

I not sure how I should do this Should I cover it with fondant then decorate it using fondant or ice it with royal icing than decorate it with the fondant thats what I'm not sure about will it be to heavy if I use fondant two time? icon_confused.gif

Molly2

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 4

I don't think weight will be an issue but then again I don't know how big it is. If it ends up on the heavy side you could put dowels in the cake underneath it.

If it were me...I would create the bassinet out of rkt, get it as smooth as possible, then give it a nice thin coat of sturdy buttercream or RI. Thin enough to not smoosh out from under your fondant, but thick enough to fill in the gaps. Then I'd cover the bassinet in fondant rolled about 1/16-1/8" thick. Thick enough to keep from showing lumps and bumps, but not so thick that you will have a hard time shaping it. If it's too thin it will definitely show lumps and bumps and may rip on you to boot. Then you can use more fondant to decorate it, stick that stuff on with just water (fondant sticks to wet fondant) or little dabs of RI.

You could, of course, just ice it in RI and apply fondant accents only, I think whichever method you choose would depend more on how you want it to look. As I said, I would worry less about the weight because you can always support it if you think it's too heavy when it's done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%