What Goes First?

Decorating By lardbutt Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 11:24am by lardbutt

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:19am
post #1 of 22

OK... I am going to be making my FIRST wedding cake for May 3rd.

Four tiers, each one decorated differently, but with a real ribbon around the base.

What goes first? The piping or the ribbon? icon_confused.gif

For example the bottom tier will have cornelli lace. Do I put cornelli lace all over it, even where the ribbon goes? icon_redface.gif

TIA, MessyBaker

21 replies
lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:24am
post #2 of 22

sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but would love to know as I haven't done my first wedding cake either. Just wanted to say congratulations on getting your first wedding cake. Good luck.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:31am
post #3 of 22

I have seen it done both ways, but I put the ribbon on first then do the lace. If you do the lace first, it makes the ribbon uneven. The ribbon needs a smooth surface to lay flat.

I hope this helps.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:32am
post #4 of 22

i would pipe first, and then put the ribbons over top of the decoration. good luck with your first cake and make sure to post the pictures!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:36am
post #5 of 22

I haven't used the real ribbon myself, but I believe you put the ribbon on and then pipe, especially if you'll be piping a border against it. If you're afraid of it bleeding (if you don't use any type of backing on the ribbon) then I would wait until the last possible minute to put the ribbon on and in that case just leave enough space for where the ribbon will be and do the piping around that and add the ribbon afterwards.

[That's my story and I'm sticking with it!] thumbs_up.gif Seriously, I believe that's the correct way and if I'm wrong I'm sure you'll hear it and why in a few minutes.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:47am
post #6 of 22

I would take the mark the side of the cake the same width as the ribbon....do the cornelli lace up to the marked line...then, apply ribbon.

I have various accidents and I would sure hate to have to remove icing from the ribbon had I applied the ribbon first.

One idea....utilizing Sugar_Plum_Fairy's backing idea would be to cut

http://cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=9845&p_catid=173

to the same width of the ribbon and the length to go around cake...affix it to cake....do the lace work up to top of it then apply the ribbon....all is well, right?

melissa043 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissa043 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:51am
post #7 of 22

i think that since you will be doing cornelli lace on the layer that you should put the ribbon on first. Because cornelli lace isnt suppose to have any visible ends to it. And if you make it first and then put on the ribbon you will have a bunch of the lace cut off and a whoel bunch of ends. Thats just my opinion. Good luck!! usaribbon.gif

lardbutt Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:57am
post #8 of 22

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

The ribbon will not have a border of icing at the bottom. I kind of like the idea of marking the cake where the ribbon will be and adding the ribbon after.

One more question......

I want to paint the piping with luster dust. Can you do that do buttercream icing after it crusts? Or do I need to use royal icing?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:59am
post #9 of 22

I agree with all4cake .... do the lace, leaving enough blank space to apply the ribbon. You don't want to lay the ribbon on top of the lace ... it will be bumpy, wont' lay flat and just wont' look right ... in my ever so never humble opinion.

I like to apply the ribbon last because I usually put it on at the reception site ... that way, I know the icing is crusted (no wet spots soaking thru the ribbon).

lardbutt Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:01am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa043

i think that since you will be doing cornelli lace on the layer that you should put the ribbon on first. Because cornelli lace isnt suppose to have any visible ends to it. And if you make it first and then put on the ribbon you will have a bunch of the lace cut off and a whoel bunch of ends. Thats just my opinion. Good luck!! usaribbon.gif

melissa043, I see your pretty good at cornelli lace! icon_wink.gif Do you have any pointers for me?

lardbutt Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:03am
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I agree with all4cake .... do the lace, leaving enough blank space to apply the ribbon. You don't want to lay the ribbon on top of the lace ... it will be bumpy, wont' lay flat and just wont' look right ... in my ever so never humble opinion.

I like to apply the ribbon last because I usually put it on at the reception site ... that way, I know the icing is crusted (no wet spots soaking thru the ribbon).

So you do put a backing on your ribbon? I was going to try wax paper, but read several posts where people didn't like that method.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:04am
post #12 of 22

You can use the press-n-seal wrap behind the ribbon, but it's so much easier to just spray Pam on the ribbon before applying. It darkens the color a little, of course, but it still looks very pretty.

lardbutt Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:09am
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

You can use the press-n-seal wrap behind the ribbon, but it's so much easier to just spray Pam on the ribbon before applying. It darkens the color a little, of course, but it still looks very pretty.

Great ideas I would have never thought of! THANKS! I will try the press-n-seal method. The ribbon is from the dresses, so I don't want it to darken.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

melissa043 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissa043 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:18am
post #14 of 22

Ohh well thank you! haha. Unfortunately i dont have many pointers. That was my first cornelli lace cake. I had it on the wilton tilting turn table which i actually thought helped since it was on an angle and i was able to see what i was doing. Other than that i just piped away! haha. Im sure it will turn out great! Cant wait to see it!! usaribbon.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:36am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

I want to paint the piping with . Can you do that do buttercream icing after it crusts? Or do I need to use royal icing?

What color Luster Dust are you thinking of using to paint the piping with?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:12pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

So you do put a backing on your ribbon? I was going to try wax paper, but read several posts where people didn't like that method.

I dont' use any backing. My icing crusts so there is no 'wet-spot' to get on the ribbon, ergo no wet to soak thru.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:52pm
post #17 of 22

Truth be told, I don't use ribbon because of the chemicals used in manufacturing and/or processing...the majority of folk that want ribbon on a cake want their "matching" ribbon on it. For the very reason it is recommended that you wash clothing before it's worn, that ribbon ain't safe to wear much less be touching something that will be consumed...not FDA approved for food contact. That is why I suggest a barrier more than a spraying of pan spray or spreading of shortening for the ribbon....much more at stake than just a ribbon that won't darken or get grease spots....

This above comment is in no way intended to undermine anyone's choice of decorating...

lardbutt Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:38pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Quote:

I want to paint the piping with . Can you do that do buttercream icing after it crusts? Or do I need to use royal icing?

What color are you thinking of using to paint the piping with?

Sorry, I HAD to go to bed last night! icon_wink.gif

The piping will be chocolate brown, but the bride wants it to sparkle like her ribbon. Her ribbon is a brown irridececent (sp?).

I was thinking of brown or champagne luster dust. Champagne is also one of her colors. The cake will be ivory.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:50pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The piping will be chocolate brown, but the bride wants it to sparkle like her ribbon. Her ribbon is a brown irridececent (sp?).

I was thinking of brown or champagne . Champagne is also one of her colors. The cake will be ivory.

icon_lol.gif I know those nights well! I thought you might say gold, which is why I asked, because there used to be a post about how to make the gold color for piping which I think I printed out and have stored somewhere. Hmmmm, did someone once mention mixing the bc w/ luster dust and being able to pipe that? I don't remember for sure. Just trying to think of a way to save you some time and unnecessary tedious work.

I don't remember for sure if I read that or if I had just thought of it and said I was going to try it (I know I never have tried it though).

lardbutt Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:16pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking of brown or champagne . Champagne is also one of her colors. The cake will be ivory.

icon_lol.gif I know those nights well! I thought you might say gold, which is why I asked, because there used to be a post about how to make the gold color for piping which I think I printed out and have stored somewhere. Hmmmm, did someone once mention mixing the bc w/ and being able to pipe that? I don't remember for sure. Just trying to think of a way to save you some time and unnecessary tedious work.

I don't remember for sure if I read that or if I had just thought of it and said I was going to try it (I know I never have tried it though).

Oh yeah, that would save hours! I might have to try it out before and see.
Thanks so much Sugar_Plum_Fairy!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:55pm
post #21 of 22

According to this post http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-262103-mix.html+luster+dust+buttercream someone tried it and it didn't work. Sorry. I thought I had read about someone doing that successfully. Maybe it was the new Wilton products that are sparkly and sold in tubes (I think). The one's I can never find.

lardbutt Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:24am
post #22 of 22

Thanks anyway, at least I know not to try it! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%