Any Ideas - How Do I Do Something Like This Floral Design?

Decorating By shalderman Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 5:00am by fondantfrenzy

shalderman Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:55am
post #1 of 9

I'm doing a cake for my cousin's wedding and she sent this pic to me as her fav. Not sure where it came from. But any tips on how I might achieve something like this? I'm assuming it was freehand cut out. But how in the world to get that ON the cake without ripping one of the vines/stems off or messing it up somehow?

Any tips or ideas? Or alternatively...has anyone here done a similar style of cake (some kind of simple/modern flower sillohette type thing on the cake)? Thanks!!!

(p.s. don't mind the lock - I have no idea what that's all about LOL I'm not doing that on the cake!!! icon_lol.gif )
LL

8 replies
TheButterWench Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:51am
post #2 of 9

are you talking about the photoshoped lock on the cake?

That's not a piece of cake, or anything like it, but you can do something similar actually with a clay gun to extrude a small thread that you can make into the chains and make the lock by molding some fondant.

It wouldn't be as large or extreem as the one in the photo.

KrisD13 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:00am
post #3 of 9

OK, seeing as you already mentioned that the lock won't be part of it, I won't touch that one.

As for the other part....

What if you cut it out on a piece of acetate/waxed paper/parchment...then carefully lift it up to the cake and release each strand carefully...did I mention being very careful? lol

HTH

DecoratingDingbat Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:57am
post #4 of 9

I did something similiar once - with the thin stem lines etc. I printed a reverse image of the design, then laid a thinly rolled fondant layed onto a piece of acetate. I gently 'scored' the pattern onto the fondant, then I cut the pattern out with exacto (sp?) knives. Carefully lifted and transfered the design to the cake (oh, I brush the design with a little bit of water so it stuck better) and gently rubbed it smooth, then peeled off the acetate. Then pattern woked, but I will admit that I did'nt get the placement 'perfect', but it was one of those things no one else noticed - our own worst critics. It took me about three of hours and ALOT of patience with the cutting. Anyway, it may not be the same way they did this design, but I thought maybe it help to get the ideas on how you can attempt it.

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:10am
post #5 of 9

That's actually a great idea...I've cut out ribbons and stripes and shapes, but never thought of something like that. It looks like a couple of their stems broke when they were putting it on the cake, if you look closely. I think if I were trying to do it, I would roll it out on a sheet I could cut on (as opposed to the silicone mats I normally use, put a cut-out of the design on waxed paper or parchment paper or even (not slippery so it would behave better, a clean sheet of printer paper) on top of the fondant, cut it out, then lay a sheet of plastic wrap over it, flip it over, brush with water and apply to the cake. I would be most worried about managing the part where it climbs the second tier...maybe make extra of the white flowers to disguise any problems in that area?

You could even let the bride draw her own design (hopefully not as complicated as that one).

fondantfrenzy Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:32am
post #6 of 9

Its so funny when i first saw that I thought you wanted to do the lock...ha ha ha ha ha ha

I would just keep practicing....i would experiment with different things like the suggesting above and do a cornstarch powdered sugar mixture in a shaker ond put that on wax paper and also on the top to make a little more drier and then carefully move it on to the cake. I would work with a thicker piece. I also would utilze an extra pair of hands..someone you trust......

Also I would try experimenting with adding Gum-Tex by wiltons i think its called that. and see if that will keep it together...i find that when I add the cornstarch/ powdered sugar mixture, it keeps it more durable. Then once you add it on the cake, if you have an airbrush, then airbrush the highest content of clear alchohol to get the powdered sugar off it. I am in California so I only have 40 percent alchohol. If you can get Everclear that would be great. If you do not have an airbrusher i would get a spray bottle or old hairspray bottle that has a really fine mist and spray area with the alchohol to get the starchy powdery look off.

The hardest part for me would to match the design I am soo challenged when it comes to things like that...but seriously if you get another pair of hands I think it can be done. If you can picture the wax paper method, you and someone bringing it up to the cake, then gently sliding the middle part to rest on the layer and as you are attaching it, have the other person support the weak areas...it can be done, I just think you need another pair of hands.

Also what i would do is when you are cutting that, put two piece of fondant on top of each other and cut it out...of course powder it between so you can have a back up.

TheButterWench Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 9

oooooooooooh no lock..ok, that was too funny.

I would print some silouettes of flowers and then place them onto the fondant that I've rolled thin, and then cut, and dab a little piping gel on the back or even water to adhere it, but I actually thing that may be a custom cut stencil with royal icing over it.

you can cut stencils out of clear mylar/acetate

shalderman Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you all so much for your feedback!! I truly appreciate it icon_smile.gif

I do figure that no matter how I do this its going to be a little time consuming but I'm ok with that. I mostly want to make an awesome cake. Oh and lucky me, the pattern going on will be RED! Ugh...and if you've ever put red fondant on white fondant you know you don't get any second chances icon_cry.gif So I think I'll be doing some kind of practice cake on this technique prior! LOL

I like the idea of cutting it out on the acetate or similar and then peeling the design off that carefully.

I have to transport this cake 2 hrs and its looking like it will be 4-5 tiers. So I will NOT be taking it assembled. No way!! icon_surprised.gif So I am thinking I might work in a thin ribbon around each base instead of the "tie" thing they have. And I'll do the design so it matches up on each tier but the ribbon will cover the seam where they actually split so I can do the tiers separately. If that makes sense?? icon_rolleyes.gif

I think I'm going to go off of this basic idea (all the stems/flowers coming out of one center "burst") but I would like to change up the flower shapes a touch so its not identical. I think I can probably draw something up, if not, sweet talk my artsy sister to LOL Her flowers for the wedding include lilies but also dahlias and similar style flowers. So it would be neat to make it sort of look like sillouhetts of all those.

fondantfrenzy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:00am
post #9 of 9

The other think i am thinking you might want to experiment with, which i accidently stumbled on this technique is roll out the pieces and then just cut it somewhere maybe at the thinnist point?

Do a clear clean cut, before you practice on cakepans, i would put the two pieces togther so that they fit back then get some clear alchohol, I am in california so i can only get Vodka which is 40 percent, but dip your finger in it and run your finger back and forth over the cut, its a pain in the butt, but you will see that the line will dissapear, so once you perfect that or master that, then maybe you can transport the pieces in section too and then apply them in sections and work the lines, now with that being said. I would not cut the sections at a place where the width of the piece is way thinner than your finger, because if you are using red on white, if your finger rubs accidently on the white....I am guessing you would have a red finger print... icon_eek.gif Try that too, and hopefully that would help. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%