Quick Opinons And Suggestions Please

Decorating By SaraW Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 11:27am by springlakecake

SaraW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraW Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 11

I made this cake for a surprise baby shower at my husband's office. This is my first tiered cake and my first bow.

Dh seems a little hesitant about the cake and now I am second guessing it.

It is covered in chocolate ganache and chocolate MMF.

Please give me your opinions and suggestions!!!!!!! Thank you so much!!
LL

10 replies
1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:50am
post #2 of 11

Maybe Im missing something in the photo but it looks like a pretty cute baby shower cake to me. What is DH saying?

SaraW Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:56am
post #3 of 11

He said it looks to simple and just like a regular cake with a bow on it. He also had a problem with the fondant on the top tier. I explained to him that it was ment to be that way, but now I am worried that it looks undone.

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:57am
post #4 of 11

It looks fine to me.....also, pink with chocolate for the babies is really popular right now!!!

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:00am
post #5 of 11

I think it is very cute!
The fondant on top is very nice - I can't tell...is it ruffled? Maybe add some tiny pink "lace" around the edge?? Something like corneli lace squiggles. Can you line the dots up on the bottom tier? One seems just a tad higher than the rest. This is totally nit-picking.....the cake is really great. I don't know why DH is giving you a hard time...but my DH is my biggest critic also!
I love the booties - an excellent job. And the bow is perfect. I see nothing wrong with it. thumbs_up.gif

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:01am
post #6 of 11

I think it looks fine. I thought the fondant was supposed to look like a blanket draped over the top tier.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:03am
post #7 of 11

Tell him simple is the trend now. I dont see where you need to do anything else.
Your bow is very pretty. Congrats on your first being so perfect.
Second guessing is bad for you. It can lead to eating your disappointments icon_biggrin.gif

SaraW Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:03am
post #8 of 11

I like the idea about the corneli lace. I have some while royal icing that I could tint. Do you think that would work?

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:09am
post #9 of 11

I think the color scheme is cute and the bow is very beautiful as are the booties. I think the "blanket" on the top tier might need a little something, but if it didn't I think it is still very cute and would be much appreciated.

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:11am
post #10 of 11

Hey Sara -

Your bow is fabulous! Far better than anything I could ever hope to put together! I think your booties are fabulous, too! It's an adorable cake!

Can I give you feedback re: the board?

First, I'm worried that it's going to buckle. It looks really thin. If it's not several boards thick or even real (wood) board, please consider carrying it on a cookie sheet for extra support. I'd hate to see your cake wrinkled (or worse).

Second, I think if you would have covered a board in the same chocolate fondant and then accented the edge with a coordinating ribbon (pink, brown and pink dots, etc.) it would completely pull the cake together. This is minor, but maybe something to think about for next time.

I hope you're not offended. I'm certainly not anywhere near an expert but your cute cute cake would be even cuter with a little more attention to the board!

Christy

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:27am
post #11 of 11

I think they will be delighted!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%