Embossed Cupcakes

Decorating By cupcake_couture Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 11:54pm by kylielam2005

cupcake_couture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_couture Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:24am
post #1 of 23

hello does anyone know what was used on these cupcakes to give them such a pretty imprint? and how you would go about impriting them? icon_smile.gif
LL

22 replies
Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:50am
post #2 of 23

My best guess is they took fondant and used an imprinting mat and a cookie cutter.

cupcake_couture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_couture Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:15am
post #3 of 23

Does anyone know where you can pick these up? Do they have rolling pins that do the same thing. Would be easier I think!

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:23pm
post #4 of 23

Into The Oven (www.intotheoven.com, search "fondant roller") and Sugarcraft (http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/FMM/rollingpins.htm) have the rolling pins. I love using them, but unfortunately, most of them are really expensive compared to impression mats.

HTH
Kim

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 23

I've done that before with sugar cookies. You just roll the fondant your desired thickness and then run an imprinted rolling pin over the top. You can find a ton of sources by googling "rolling pin."

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 23
golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:06am
post #7 of 23

You can also use impression mats for clay. I found one I really like at Hobby Lobby. It's blue and not huge- maybe 3"x5" or something like that. Also have some I got from Michael's that are by Makins or Sculpey- can't remember. They are about the same size as the other one- though that one is silicone, and these are something else.

Other than that you could use the rolling pins, or real lace/other things with patterns. It works well to run that through a pasta machine if you have one.

Krystl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krystl Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:41am
post #8 of 23

saw some embossed rolling pins and mats at American Cake as well. That is one DANGEROUS store!

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:47am
post #9 of 23

for some reason I see "blocked" on the link I put in my earlier post. [blocked] (http://www.[blocked].com/catalog/gumpaste/FMM/rollingpins.htm)

If that's so, the link is ** sugar ** craft ** dot ** com. Search for rolling pins.

Hmmm.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:53am
post #10 of 23

. . . this is a cake that gives you an example of results that can be achieved using "real lace" . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_955853.html

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:57am
post #11 of 23

kwdonlon, that link is blocked because last year, the owner of that company emailed Heath and insulted a few members specifically, as well as calling CC a "cesspool" of evilness, and that they never wanted to do business with anyone from here.

If you are going to order from them, be careful, and don't tell them you heard about them here or you will be blocked automatically.

Their prices can change at any point, including between your ordering and rec'ing the merchandise. It seems they like to add extra charges on sometimes, and you could be waiting a long time for your order, in other cases. If you need to try to get a rebate.......good luck.

Check their rules pages before you decide to order. It will give you an idea of what's going on.

HTH

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:16am
post #12 of 23

There are so many great ideas for cupcakes these days. I love these too!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:49pm
post #13 of 23

I found a new product in the scrapbook section today that I hope will be totally awesome for embossing cupcakes. I'm going to try it out today and I'll let you know how they turn out. They are called Cuttlebug embossing folders by Provo Craft. I'll post a pic later of the product. I'm up to my ears in wedding cupcakes today...just taking a little breather. I've also seen people use stamps to emboss their fondant for cupcakes. They have some really beautiful stamps in the scrapbooking section of JoAnns.

alanahodgson Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:45pm
post #14 of 23

Okay, so I'm so excited to share my new find that I had to take a break from my cupcakes and share. Here is a picture of the product and a picture of the cupcake tops that I'm making. I'm just dusting the folder with cornstarch, impressing, then brushing off the excess cornstarch that sticks to the fondant. These folders were $4.99 at JoAnn's Etc. and I used a coupon so they were super cheap. This is for sure what I'll be spending my coupons on in the future!! They had a couple dozen different designs. Very cool!
LL
LL

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:22pm
post #15 of 23

Alana,
I just bought some clay texture makers from JoAnn. They were $7.99 for 2 mats, but I had 2, 50% off coupons. I can't wait to use mine on some cupcakes!
LL

alanahodgson Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:58pm
post #16 of 23

Oh La La! Very Nice!!! I especially like the fern leaves! My cupcakes are done! Here's a pic.
LL

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:15pm
post #17 of 23

Those of you who are using rubber stamps, scrapbooking tools, and clay tools, should know that it is a violation of both the FDA and the EPA (in the USA) to use these tools on food products.

They are not considered food-grade materials, and as such, you can be fined heavily if caught using them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

alanahodgson Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:19pm
post #18 of 23

killjoy! No! Just kidding! Thank you for the information. I know pleading ignorance is no excuse.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:24pm
post #19 of 23

you can use the stamps if they are not mounted on wood, but you can buy acrylic circles and double faced tape.

This method is approved.

You can also go to the website

sweetstampin.com she sells stamps and kits that are food approved.

Also, make sure that you sanitize everything. I was everything in hot soapy water, soak in sanitizer, rinse and wipe everything down with a little clear liquor, it dries fast and eliminates water spots. lol

playingwithsugar Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:27pm
post #20 of 23

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but it happened to Laure'l Silverberg, not long after she appeared on Carol Duvall. She had demonstrated cookie stamping on the show. Shortly afterward, she was contacted by the FDA about the stamps she was using. The incident brought her to create Sweet Stampen rubber stamps, which are food-safe rubber stamps.

www.sweetstampen.com

The stamps are also detailed enough to use on crusted buttercream or rolled fondant. The current owner, Holly, is a great gal.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:29pm
post #21 of 23

No, you can't just use the stamps from a craft store, even if they are not mounted on a wood block. There are chemicals in those stamps which can leach into the food product.
Holly sells her stamps mounted or unmounted, so that people who scrapbook can use them, also, but all her stamps are made from food-grade rubber.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:30pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but it happened to Laure'l Silverberg, not long after she appeared on Carol Duvall. She had demonstrated cookie stamping on the show. Shortly afterward, she was contacted by the FDA about the stamps she was using. The incident brought her to create Sweet Stampen rubber stamps, which are food-safe rubber stamps.

www.sweetstampen.com

The stamps are also detailed enough to use on crusted buttercream or rolled fondant. The current owner, Holly, is a great gal.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Ok, so I didn't spell the name of her site correctly,
icon_rolleyes.gif

but that is where I was sending people to Laure'l Silverberg's site.

She is a very nice woman, and is very helpful.

She has kits and she will also design a rubber stamp for you ! Which I think is great

thumbs_up.gif

kylielam2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylielam2005 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 11:54pm
post #23 of 23

Hi,
Those are my cupcakes..the embossed ones in the original picture. I haven't been on here for ages so was worried I may have missed an email from cupcakecouture asking about them (no email so I don't feel guilty for not answering now phew). Those ones in particular are done with a roller.....I think it's the swan patterned roller (it's a medium size) but mine broke as soon as I got it (fell on the floor & broke in 2 so don't drop them) so it makes it harder to use it icon_sad.gif Cost a small fortune (it was the first time I used a roller as I originally used a different method to emboss before the patterned rollers or templates were around) but I really should get another one as it's my favourite pattern so far. I don't even know the brand but will find out.
Yeah unfortunately stamps need to be food grade. Certain chemicals are used to make the stamps that aren't suitable for food & can result in food poisoning (yikes) so thankfully for food grade ones!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%