Need Help With This Cake (Pix)

Decorating By Starkie Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 6:07am by xstitcher

Starkie Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:05am
post #1 of 12

This is my first dummy cake. I kind of like it, and I kind of don't ~ know what I mean? It needs something on the bottom, but I don't know what. (I was having problems with my clay gun, so I gave up for the night.) Any ideas, thoughts, comments about how to finish this one up so it looks like a nice, small wedding cake?

11 replies
nikki72905 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:38am
post #2 of 12

what if you put a horizontal line in the middle of the cake and attached a bow made of fondant?

Starkie Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:09am
post #3 of 12

What color line, blue or tan? Also, I was thinking of putting some tan swiss dots on the bottom. Would that be too much?

meegz Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:27am
post #4 of 12

both would look nice, maybe tan since you already have blue around the bottom???

FromScratch Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:31am
post #5 of 12

Some scrolls would look nice. I think a bow would compete too much with your topper.. make it a bit busy. I'd do tan for the accent since you have the blue fondant rope around the base.

tippyad Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:47am
post #6 of 12

With the lines on the top I'd do something "swirly" at the bottom to mimic the flowers at the top. I'd stick w/ tan for color. Otherwise, GREAT JOB!

lovetofrost Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:09am
post #7 of 12

I think more flowers on the bottom and I think the bow idea is cute. I am about to do my first dummie cake. How did you get the fondant to stay on?

springlakecake Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:11am
post #8 of 12

Your topper is really pretty! It is a cute cake!

I think maybe you need to add a couple more flowers to the ones sitting on the bottom tier. Like in bunches of 3 or 5.

Maybe a little something on the bottom tier or some more bunches of flowers along the bottom. I think the bottom looks a little plain against the top tier. Of course I have an understanding of the over detailed cake, so I wouldnt go too crazy.

luelue1971 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:15pm
post #9 of 12

I was thinking dots.

peg818 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:52pm
post #10 of 12

I think you should cover the bottom board with tan fondant to set off the white cake. Trim the board with either tan ribbon or blue, i think blue would be best.

For the bottom cake i think swirls in tan and blue.

Starkie Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:53pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for everyone's input on this. I finished it today with tan swirls on the bottom layer. I was not totally thrilled with the look of the cake (it's not what was in my head, know what I mean?), so I just did the swirls and quit. Next time I will take more time with it. Anyway, here is the finished product!

xstitcher Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:07am
post #12 of 12

I think the end result is quite nice!

The only thing I might have done different (and please take what I say with a grain of salt as I'm very new at this) is maybe done some of the small swirls in blue. Other than that I think you did a great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%