Crumb Coat Anyone?

Decorating By bethneebabe Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 11:47pm by Homemade-Goodies

bethneebabe Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:13am
post #1 of 8

So, a lot of books that I look at recommend a crumb coat for BC frosting. I haven't done a crumb coat before and I haven't had problems with crumbs. That being said, I do about one or two cakes a month so I'm not a pro or anything. I was wondering how many people use crumb coats and if I don't have problems with crumbs are there any other advantages?

7 replies
wgoat5 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:37am
post #2 of 8

I no longer use a crumb coat afer doing it the SugarShack way!!! icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:50am
post #3 of 8

I don't use a crumb coat. I use the cake icer tip. I love it. I find it puts just the right amount of icing on the cake that you can remove some in the course of smoothing it, but it still leaves a good coat of icing on the cake. Plus, with the cake icer tip, you never actually touch the cake, so stirring up crumbs is virtually impossible.

leily Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:07am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

I don't use a crumb coat. I use the cake icer tip. I love it. I find it puts just the right amount of icing on the cake that you can remove some in the course of smoothing it, but it still leaves a good coat of icing on the cake. Plus, with the cake icer tip, you never actually touch the cake, so stirring up crumbs is virtually impossible.

Exactly what I was going to say

TexasSugar Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:05am
post #5 of 8

I will crumb coat on cakes I carve or cut, because there is usually alot more crumbs to deal with them. And it helps you see the shape of the cake a little better.

I do not crumb coat every cake I do though. And would say if you don't have a crumb problem then just skip it.

Other than craved cakes the other advantage I can think of is if you are filling your cake, and want to let it sit out for a few hours to settle before you ice your cake. Then if you crumb coat it, it will seal out the air and keep your cake from drying out while you wait to do the final icing.

Ohara Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:32am
post #6 of 8

I only crumb coat chocolate cake when I'm using a white butter cream. If not my icing looks like chocolate chip butter cream

tracey1970 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 8

I haven't found a crumb coat necessary when I ice a chocolate cake with white BC if I use the icer tip. In fact, almost all of my cakes are chocolate with white BC (or light coloured BC). Never had a problem.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 8

I just got an icing tip, and can't wait to use it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%