Do I Need To Refridgerate This....

Decorating By maimerbaker Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 7:34pm by pjaycakes

maimerbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimerbaker Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 11

I made the Raspberry filling recipe posted on CC (it is excellent), but now I am wondering if it has to be refridgerated. The ingredients are raspberries, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch. I made the filling yesterday and have had it in the fridge the whole time, but now I am ready to fill and frost my cake with Sugar Shack's buttercream, and I am hoping I do not have to refridgerate once sealed in the cake (space issues). The cake is for Saturday....Does anyone know?

10 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 11

Yes, you need to refrigerate it.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 11

I agree refrigerate it. I go by the rule of thumb when in doubt refrigerate.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 11

I don't see anything in the filling recipe that would be perishable. As long as your house isn't extremely hot inside I would think it would be okay in a cool part of the house out of direct sunlight.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 11

I can't imagine why it would need to be refrigerated. I wouldn't leave it at room temp for more than a couple days, but I think you'll be fine for Saturday. The lemon juice and sugar act as preservatives.

HerBoudoir Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 11

I don't have my ServSafe book in front of me, but "processed fruits and vegetables" top the list of potentially dangerous foods (i.e. those prone to developing bacteria/mold/etc that result in food borne illnesses) when time/temperature abused.

Processing would include cooked fruit fillings, even if there's sugar and lemon juice added.

But yes - the bottom line is that if there's any doubt- refrigerate it.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 11

I make it and never refrigerate it icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 11

I wouldn't think refrigeration would be necessary overnight. When you see big sleeves of fruit and cream fillings at the supply stores just sitting there on the shelf unrefrigerated, I would think it'd be safe sealed inside a cake over night. And the sugar and lemon juice would act as s preservative.

HerBoudoir Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 11

Yep, but those fruit and "creme" fillings are in airtight containers and are usually full of chemical preservatives.

maimerbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimerbaker Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:54pm
post #10 of 11

What a night.... I stayed up until midnight filling and frosting my cakes. It was my first time using Sugar Shack's icing and technique. I worked very carefully because I was making the cake for my son's 1st birthday party on Saturday....so naturally it has to look perfect icon_lol.gif I ended up refridgerating the cake when I was done because I am also from the better safe than sorry school.

Well, turns out the whole thing didn't matter anyway because my son woke up with a 103 degree temp this morning and is absolutely miserable. We postponed the party two weeks, and I am stuck with cake to serve 60. I love cake, but not that much. Ha! Ha! Oh well, at least I had not decorated it .....what are you going to do... I just look at it as more practice. Does anyone want a peice?

Off to take care of my little one. Thanks for your responses. I still think I am leaning towards "needs to be refridgerated" though....

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:34pm
post #11 of 11

Sorry to hear about your son. It just breaks your heart when little ones get sick.

Maybe you can wrap it real good in plastic wrap and freeze it. I'm not sure about the fruit filling, it may get runny when it thaws out. Maybe someone else will know about that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%