How Is This Done?! Seeking Advise!

Decorating By cakesbyallison Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm by tiggy2

cakesbyallison Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 9

I have a bride who has forwarded me this photo of a cake, I am not sure where it came from, or who the deisgner is. I need to figure out how the did the sides of this. It appears to be an impression, into fondant, and wrapped around the cake - I get that part - but I have not seen this impression before, or is it even piped on (brush embroidery) ? Anyone?!
It's a beautiful cake, and I'd love to do it, if I can figure it out!

8 replies
cakesbyallison Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 9

Oh, man, that's a bad picture... the image she sent me isn't much better, but this isn't very good. I've posted the image in my blog:

beachcakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 9

It's hard to tell from the photo. It looks like brush embroidery, but then again, some of the leaves look kind of thick? Maybe it's a combination of fondant applique & brush embroidery?

Amia Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:09am
post #4 of 9

That is almost exactly like the design I want on one tier of my wedding cake. If you figure it out let me know what it is so I can tell my cake decorator! icon_smile.gif

diane Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:09am
post #5 of 9

it looks like fondant overlay and maybe some brush embroidery...but it's very hard to tell exactly.

peacockplace Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:36am
post #6 of 9

I was going to say brush embroidery too! I think there may be several techniques here. Gorgeous!!! thumbs_up.gif

agroeve Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:17am
post #7 of 9

judging by the pic on your blog i would say heavy brush icing on a ri coated cake

springlakecake Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:39am
post #8 of 9

I think it looks like A LOT of brush embroidery too.

tiggy2 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 9

It looks like either a fondant applique or possibly a stencil with RI or BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%