3D Bear - Please Help!

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 1:44am by mommabuda

mommabuda Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 6

This is the 3rd bear I've done and I've never had a problem... this one is just HORRIBLE! It cracked in the back from leg to leg and it's leaning really bad towards the back. It's so bad that I'm not going to decorate it and give it to someone tomorrow in fear of it falling apart. So now I looked up that recipe on here for the 3D cakes... will just that amount of ingredients for one cake mix be enough? Or do I have to do 2? Any other tips from anyone on this... I really don't feel like doing it over but I have no choice. It's also going to be chocolate if that matters any... grrrrrrr....[/code]

5 replies
Petit-four Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 6

I'm so sorry --I can't help with your recipe question, but only say that I follow the intructions on cooling very precisely (set the timer and such to remind myself). But I know; they can be a real pain, even when you do everything "exactly." icon_confused.gif

Also, once they are out, if they tend to lean, I give them lots of flowers/stuff around the base in stiff butter-cream to cement them in place. Hope this is a little help.

AmyCakes2 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 6

I've only ever used one cake mix for the bear. Make sure to spray the inside if the support "cone" to fill in the hole once the cone is removed. I've even left the metal cone in the cake (if I knew I would DEFINATELY get it back). Is this for someone or just you?
So sorry you are having so much trouble!!

WendyLaLa Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 6

I'm really sorry that you are having so much trouble. I hate doing those stand up cakes!!!! Sometimes if I have the time I let the bear cool down entirely before I take it out of the pan. That way it is all settled. Thats the only advise I can give. Sometimes I'd like to take it and dip it in colorflow icing 10 or 12 times and let it get hard as a rock!!!!!! No one could eat it, but it would stay together!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!

mommabuda Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:35am
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone. I'm off to the store now to buy pudding mix and sour cream and redo the cake yet tonight. It's for someone actually... someone I went to school with... ugh!!! I HATE it when I have to do a cake for someone else, that's always when I have issues!

mommabuda Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:44am
post #6 of 6

K, I just put it in the oven... kinda nervous once again... the one cake mix even with the added ingredients only filled up to the tiptoes of the bear... I don't think it'll rise that much to fill the whole thing but we'll see. I swear, if I have to make a 3rd bear I'm going to just die!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%