Iso Your Best Wedding Cake Advice/recipes

Decorating By mkmommy Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 10:31pm by beccakelly

mkmommy Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 6

My SIL asked me to make her wedding cake. I'm totally flattered but a little overwhelmed too. I've never done anything that fancy yet. Luckily for me, she wants it pretty simple so I think I can do it. basically just a buttercream, square stacked cake with ribbon around the bottom and fresh flowers. My problem... getting the icing smooth. That's why I love fondant so much, covers up those flaws, but she doesn't want fondant. So here a couple questions and I'd love your advice:

-I'm going to try the melvira method of smoothing the icing. What are your thoughts about the crusting buttercream recipe/flavor? Does it taste good? Are there other buttercreams that are easy to smooth out?

-What are your favorite cake and filling recipes and combinations? She really hasn't given me any direction of what kid of cake she wants so I'm on my own.

-When do you stack the cake? Before you get to the reception or there at the actual place?

What else should I know or do?

Thanks for helping basically a newbie!

Sara

5 replies
yh9080 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't really used the melvira method but many people on this board have with wonderful results.

I did a wedding cake with buttercream icing and strawberry filling. I've also done a large cake with lemon curd filling.

Personally, I stack my large cakes at the site. The reason I do this is that I simply cannot carry a 3-4 tier cake. They are just too heavy for me. And one cannot always depend on there being a cart at the site.

My other suggestion would be to do as much ahead as possible - cake board, etc. And don't forget to take a repair kit.

mkmommy Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:10am
post #3 of 6

Thank you! What would you include in your repair kit?

beccakelly Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:50am
post #4 of 6

how large is your cake? i transport almost everything completely assembled. i can carry up to a 6, 10,14 by my self, and for larger cakes my husband helps. i hate assembling on site, i feel rushed and awkward working in an unfamiliar place. to transport i put four 4" SPS supports in each tier, then dowel them together with bamboo skewers. cheap, easy, effective. and very sturdy. i've never had a cake budge putting htem together this way.

i tried the melvira method, and it was okay, but i prefer my own method. its similar to sugarshacks, but with a couple changes (basically expedited for time efficiency). so i recommend buying her DVD, the art of buttercream and learning to smooth buttercream that way. its a very helpful DVD.

as far as flavors go, my most popular combinations are white chocolate cake with raspberry filling and chocolate fudge cake with raspberry filling.

in my repair kits i bring extra icing, extra decorations (dragees, sugar flowers, royal icing pieces, etc), a spatula, something to smooth icing with (i use viva paper towel) in case it gets smudged. i always have ribbon, tape, and scissors. basically i bring anything i think i might possibly want.

mkmommy Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 6

beccaKelly,
What do you do for your white chocolate cake? Just white cake with white chocolate pudding added?

Also, how would I go about getting sugarshacks dvd? The shopping page of CC won't load up for me.

beccakelly Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy

beccaKelly,
What do you do for your white chocolate cake? Just white cake with white chocolate pudding added?

Also, how would I go about getting sugarshacks dvd? The shopping page of CC won't load up for me.

i bake from scratch, and i use my base yellow cake recipe and add 4 oz melted ghiradeli white chocolate to each batch of my batter.

here is a link to sharon's website:
http://www.sugaredproductions.com/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%