Major Problem With Clay Gun ~ Help Please!!!

Decorating By Starkie Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 9:23pm by springlakecake

Starkie Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 12

I just got in my S ugarc raft gun from Global Sugar Arts, and I wanted to play with it. I have tried and tried and tried, and I can't get a rope or a square to come out without these horrible, ragged edges! I have kneaded in more and more Crisco (at's almost at a 1:1 ratio now), I have changed the discs and flipped them from one side to the other, and I have even tried to grease the inside of the gun with Crisco. And still I get the ragged edges!

Please, someone has to have a solution! I am ready to return the gun and forget the whole thing!

11 replies
plbennett_8 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 12

Dang... Wish I had the solution for you, but the only thing that I do with mine is knead in shortening... I have the green clay extruder... Anyway, here's a bump for you! icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 12

Are you using old fondant? Particularly older mmf? It really works best if you use fresh fondant. Satin ice works great in the gun.

When I first got mine I couldnt figure it out. I had the same problem. It's not the gun, its your fondant. You can try more crisco, but if it is too hard and old, it just wont get much better.

springlakecake Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 12

by the way, I do grease up the fondant with some crisco before putting it in the gun so it is slimy. Dont give up on it. It is one of the best investments I have made for a relatively low cost!!

Starkie Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 12

It's fresh fondant, Merissa, just made a few hours ago. Slimy? For real? It's chewing gum consistency now ~ maybe just add more Crisco? I'll give it another go. Wish me luck!

Starkie Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 12

Okay, I just added enough Crisco to make my fondant almost a paste, and it STILL comes out ragged!!! Just to check, I filled up my gun with straight Crisco, and what do you know ~ it comes out perfect! I don't get it. Can you even use this gun with MMF? Or do you have to purchase a commercial fondant to use??? I am just at a loss...

KoryAK Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 12

Try heating it up, will me much easier on your hands too. Just 7 seconds or so for as much as will fit in at once.

Starkie Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 12

Okay, as a last resort I heated up the fondant, and then kneaded in more Crisco (it melted onto the fondant!). So I put it through the gun, and it worked icon_biggrin.gif !

I tell you, though, it didn't put out a very long rope. I was hoping for a longer rope, and I couldn't figure out how to refill the gun without breaking the rope...

springlakecake Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 12

I think that commercial fondant DOES work better, but I have used mmf with pretty good results. I dont really ADD crisco to the fondant, but I do grease up the outsides. So I dont know if I have really changed the consistency a lot.

step0nmi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 12

if you just made the fondant a few hours ago then the fondant hasn't settled. Freshly made fondant needs to sit over night. I think this may be your problem.

annethered Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 8:17am
post #11 of 12

Can someone please tell me though, does adding the Crisco stop the stuff from hardening? I got mine to come out of the gun smooth but it wouldn't set hard!

springlakecake Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:23pm
post #12 of 12

If you want it to set hard, you should probably use gumpaste. Otherwise fondant will work, but it will take much longer for it to dry out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%