Do Any Of You Know How To Make A Fondant/gumpaste Beachball

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 5:03am by aprilcake

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 8

I am making an indoor hotel pool cake and I want to make gumpaste chairs which I have figured out how to make but I am need inspiration/help with making a fondant and/or gumpaste beachball and swim towels and little side items I can set by the pool and chairs... thanks!

April :0)

7 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 8

just make a ball, let dry and paint the stripes on it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 8

I would just cut the stick off of a lollipop the size you need (dum dums for little tiny ones and the lollipops by the registers at walmart for a bigger one) and then cover it in pieces of gumpaste or fondant that are shaped like a strip that comes to a point at both ends...hope that helps

http://www.pilgrimpromotions.com/custom/data/images/SEVYLOR/B9.jpg

see how they're not just stripes...they come to a point at both ends and kinda flare in the center. Or you could form it around a gumball too...(just easier than getting a perfectly round ball out of fondant or gumpaste and waiting for it to dry.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 8

i have a magazine that debbie brown has an artilcle about this. i have done it on a beach scene. you roll two balls. one red, one white. or whatever color you choose. then you quarter them with a knife . then stick alternate colors together. hth very easy

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i have a magazine that debbie brown has an artilcle about this. i have done it on a beach scene. you roll two balls. one red, one white. or whatever color you choose. then you quarter them with a knife . then stick alternate colors together. hth very easy

Oh yeah! That would be the best looking and easiest way to get the colors lined up right.

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 8

I took each color and rolled it into a ball. Then cut it into quarters and put the colors together with a little water and gently rolled again to get the right shape. I then rolled a very small piece of fonant into a ball and pressed it on each end to make a circle. I will try to post a pic.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 8

I have a beach scene cake in my photos. I used big jaw breakers for the beach balls and covered them with fondant " stripes". email me if you want the template for the stripes.

I also have a few other beachy items on that cake if you want to take a look at it in my gallery.

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:03am
post #8 of 8

thank you so much! Great idea...sugarshack...how did you get the colors matching up so perfectly on the beach ball? so nice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%