Where Can I Find Pastillage??

Decorating By bdrider Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm by Molly2

bdrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bdrider Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 14

Ugh. I'm batting zero today.
My order came in from IntotheOven and it was minus my huge pail of pastillage that I need for the weekend. They are out and I didnt find out until this afternoon. I've been searching for a few hours now and I cant find hardly any places that sell it and the few that do, most are backordered. The only one I found was Beryls. Is there anywhere else I can look without spending my entire Thursday searching online?

13 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 14

You can make your own. I've made a recipe from martha stewart.

bdrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bdrider Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 14

is it complicated and/or does it require a slew of ingrediants?

alanahodgson Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 14

martha stewart.com was down when I went to check the site for the recipe, but here are some I found. very simple.

http://www.baking911.com/recipes/cakes/fondant_sculpting.htm

http://www.auiswiss.com/culin_whatsnew.cfm?catid=1076

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 14

I always thought pastillage was the european name for gumpaste? sugarpaste = fondant, pastillage = gumpaste.

I could be very, very wrong...

alanahodgson Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #6 of 14

You are correct that some people call them one and the same. When I first was introduced to pastillage I learned that it is a similar product without any of the stretchy ingredients usually added to sugarpaste such as glycerin or gum additives. I've used it before. It dries very quickly and has very little stretch. It dries very hard and brittle, but does not take on moisture the way gumpaste does.

agroeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agroeve Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:43am
post #7 of 14

i make my own. i make a 1 pound batch of ri to stiff peak. then sprinkle over it 3 teaspoons of gum tragacanth (or tylose equivalent) leave to sit under a damp cloth for 20 mins then knead it together with teaspoon of shortening. if its a bit sticky knead in some more powderd sugar. it does dry more quickly than gumpaste tho so keep it well covered when not in use.

Bunniefluf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunniefluf Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:22am
post #8 of 14

Agroeve are those ingredients (the gum tragacanth) sold in a grocery store? Or a cake supply store?

agroeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agroeve Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:30am
post #9 of 14

i buy mine from my local cake store but also bought it online.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 14

How do you color it

Molly2

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 14

I make my own: 6x sugar (or 10x, but you'd have to sift that), corn starch, sheet gelatin (bloomed) & vinegar (I can get u the exact measurements later--don't have my recipes now). Mix the starch & sugar. heat the gelatin leaves in the vinegar, start your stand mixer and pour the gelatin/vinegar in and combine. If it's too loose add a LITTLE more sugar (100-150 gms), wrap and freeze for 15 minutes. If too dry, get some vinegar VERY hot and mix in.

Molly2 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 14

When do you color it is it ok to air brush it or use gels

Molly2

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #13 of 14

If you want a deep, all-over color then use liquid gel colors (such as americolor) and add it in with the vinegar. You can then airbursh to even it out/deepen it after. I usually, however, just make everything in white and airbrush later. I often use food markers for details as well.

Molly2 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm
post #14 of 14

Thank You so much for the information

Molly2 thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%