What Is The Best Way To.....

Decorating By chrissysconfections Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 10:49pm by beachcakes

chrissysconfections Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 6

I know fondant accents can be added to buttercream iced cakes but what I'd like to know is what is the best way to do this. Typically I use RI for everything but I know it breaks down from the grease in the BTC and this cake has to sit...fully assembled for 24hrs and survive an hour trip with the cutomer (probably more depending on where the venue is) plus sit through the event.
What I'm looking at is attaching carousel horses to the side of a cake. I'm thinking I may make the horses out of fondant, then attach them to some sort of stick, I haven't decided if I'm going to twist the two shades together in fondant or use actual candy sticks yet. I know I can use the RI to attach the fondant to the sticks but what about the sticks to the sides of the cake itself?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
pjaycakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 6

I make my own glue out of tylose and water. 1 part tylose to 3 parts water. Just put it in a container with a lid and shake it up. It will be very lumpy but over the course of a day the lumps will disappear. It holds fondant to buttercream fantastic.

If you don't have tylose you can break up some fondant and pour boiling water over it until you get the consistency just slightly thinner than elmer's glue (white school glue).

chrissysconfections Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 6

Cool! I never heard of that....I don't have tylose,nor do I know where I could even find it but I could do the melted fondant thing though.
Thanks a bunch icon_smile.gif

pjaycakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 6

I ordered mine online, but I'm sure if you go to any cake decorating supply store they would have it near the gumpaste and fondant.

diane Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 6

you can also make a glue out of fondant and water. icon_smile.gif

beachcakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 6

You could also use melted chocolate. I'm not sure if the tylose/water glue would work on candy canes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%