Cupcake Liners....are They A Pain?

Decorating By megamoodles Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 2:22pm by Melvira

megamoodles Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 17

So I bought some of those cute little cupcake cups that are really nut cups. I see them used for cupcake liners all the time, but I was wondering if anyone has used these before and if they're a pain to eat? It seems like the top of the paper cup is pretty thick and hard to tear into. Any suggestions or guidance??

16 replies
awolf24 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 17

Yes, they are. I don't really have a good suggestion for you. I used them for my friend's wedding shower because she liked the look but they were hard to eat from. Most people used a spoon or fork and just ate the cupcake like that w/out unwrapping it. You can cut little v shaped slits in the cups before baking but I didn't because it seemed too tedious and I didn't want to handle the cups that much to keep them more sanitary.

I also noticed for some reason that the cake itself was much more dry than usual compared to regualr cupcake liners.

They are cute but I don't think they are worth the complications. I won't use them again.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 17

you can cut them after they baked. but yeah it seems like a lot of work. i kinda like how you don't need to use a pan when you use those candy/nut papers.

avenje Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 17

Why don't you just bake them in plain white liners and then drop them in the decorative one after they are baked?

dljc Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 17

I think I've seen some people bake in the regular liners but put the whole cupcake into the white liners after baking (for the pretty presentation).

danar217 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 17

That's what I do. I just bake them in cheap white cupcake liners and then when cooled, I drop into the nut cups. It's much easier to eat that way and you still get the pretty presentation.

awolf24 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 17

Great idea! Duh, didn't even think to do that. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 17

where are the nut cups?? anyone have a pic?? I've never seen them!

TheButterWench Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:52pm
post #10 of 17

the nut cups bake the cakes in a narrower shape than the cupcake liners so I woudn't even think they would fit into the nut cups after baking them in the liners.

If you bake them in the nut cups, bake them for a shorter period of time and at lower temps.

I like baking them in the nut cups for the same reason stated, I can line them up on a large cookie sheet or pan and they fit tighter into a bakery box.

What people do after , that's their business! lol

Doubling them like that seems like a waste of paper and not a very green thing to do.

Melvira Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:55pm
post #11 of 17

The best thing to do is bake them, cool them, then snip that hard 'ring' of rolled paper around the top. The cupcake will keep it from opening or spreading because the paper is baked to it. You might even want to snip both sides so it's easy to peel. If you do that, they come off as easy as cupcake liners. They are awesome though because you can put them on a cookie sheet to bake them, so you aren't restricted to baking 12 cupcakes at a time, or whatever will fit into your oven. (I can only get a 12 and a 6 muffin pan side by side in the stupid oven I'm using right now. ERGH!! A PAIN when you have to do 200 total, only 18 at a time!!)

awolf24 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:55pm
post #12 of 17

Here is a link to the ones I did with the nut cups (and I did wonder if the regular liners would fit in since they seemed narrower.....). They were great to have the straight sides to attach the ribbon to but for the reasons I listed in my previous post, I don't think I would use them again.

Melvira Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:20pm
post #13 of 17

awolf24, those look awesome!! They are so elegant with the black and white ribbon!! Really, all you have to do it snip that top rolled paper and you are golden!!

awolf24 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:06pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks Melvira! Well, maybe I'll have to give them a second chance then. I still have extras at home...

KHalstead Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:34am
post #15 of 17

are they just mini sized or do they have regular cupcake sized ones???

MsS Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:59am
post #16 of 17

Read here for my experience with the nut cups ....

I have not given up on them yet although they're more expensive and give out a waxy smell while baking... or was that my imagination?

Melvira Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:22pm
post #17 of 17

I think I've seen them in three different sizes, but two of them are definitely comparable to mini and regular cupcake sizes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%