16Inch Square Disaster

Decorating By spunkywan Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 3:11am by yvonnecargile

spunkywan Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 11

i am baking a 16 inch square cake.....i always use my baking strips, but this time they were burnt to a crisp, so was the bottom and the edges of the cake...the pan barely fits into my oven, i baked at 325 for only 40 minutes......i'm scared to bake it again, but i have to do 2 layers.....the crispy one is in the trash, along w/ my baking strips icon_sad.gif

any suggestions?

10 replies
tiggy2 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 11

Do you have an oven thermometer? It sounds like your temperature may be off. Have you used this pan before? Is there room for air to circulate around the pan when it's in the oven or is it touching the sides of the oven?

KoryAK Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 11

If you are needing 2" of cake, maybe try baking it 1" at a time. Can be a good idea with the really big cakes.

plbennett_8 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 11

Definitely start with checking your temp... Is your stove gas or electric? Could your strips have been touching something flamable? It sounds like your strips caught on fire from what you said... If you have gas, and it is coming up from below you may have had a "bubble" for lack of a better term... I would turn on my oven and "watch" it.

Ok...this may sound simple...but...did you remember to soak your strips really good? I have noticed that after I have baked with mine for a while they become "resistant" to soaking up water and I have to let them just sit in the sink for a while. You know that you can take an old towel, cut it up, soak it in water and use it until you can get some new strips...

My suggestion is to check the temp of your oven, and "watch" it for a little while... Don't know if that was any help... icon_rolleyes.gif

Good luck! icon_smile.gif
Pat

spunkywan Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks, I'm gonna try it again.....maybe 1 inch at a time.....wish me luck.
My pan just barely fits, I think w/ the strips it is touching the sides, I'm gonna try it without the strips.

doreenre Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 11

i typically bake all my cakes around 300 degrees. Sure it takes longer, but the cakes bake evenly and they stay pretty flat that I often don't need to level.

mommycakediva Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 11

I bake at a lower temp. to if its a bigger pan that barely fits seems to work for me! At about 325

redpanda Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 11

If your pan barely fits in the oven, the hot air may not be able to circulate around the pan. If that is the case, the bottom will get hotter than it should (the heat is trapped under the cake pan). If your thermostat sensor is at the top of the oven (mine is), it will be even worse, because the sensor will register a cooler oven, because the heat can't reach it.

Lowering the temperature may help, but if that one burns, too, it may be that you can't bake quite so large a pan in that oven.

mommycakediva Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 11

I bake at a lower temp. to if its a bigger pan that barely fits seems to work for me! At about 325

spunkywan Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:38pm
post #10 of 11

Well, I guess my oven can't handle a 16inch square pan, I burnt another cake.....but God blessed me with a wonderful sister-in-law who is baking it at her house...THANKS JULIA!!! I LOVE YOU!

yvonnecargile Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:11am
post #11 of 11

If you can't fit a 16 inch in your oven, bake 4-8" cakes instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%