How Do I Get A Gp Number To Stand Up On Top Of Cake?

Decorating By cinjam Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 10:54pm by cinjam

cinjam Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 5

I've cut the numbers one and six out of gum paste. On each number I left a GP "tail" or maybe "extension is a better way to say it. It's a continuation of GP once the number has ended.

The tail would be sunk into the cake to provide stability. But, I am thinking I would need some other type of support in the back (like an easel type support). I hope I explained well enough what my tail is!

The numbers are about 1/8" think and the number & tail are about 6" high (the number itself is 3" high and then it has a 3" tail)

The one's tail isn't as wide as the six's, so I was going to attach a popsicle stick to the back with RI (my fear is the tail is going to break off).

My fear is I am going to sink them in and they are slowly going to pitch backwards (or break) and that I need a support behind them.

Any suggestions? I was thinking a triangular piece of GP behind each number?? Not Sure!

4 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 5

I did a 16 birthday cake in June and i had the 16 sticking out of the cake im not sure what you mean by a tail but what i did i bouught 18g wire from the craft dept and inserted it into the #'s make sure you know what height you want them to be, let them dry before inserting them into the cake you can take coffee stirers and insert the wire into them then the stiries go into the cake make sure you tell who ever the cake belongs to that there in the cake Hope this helps

sugarshack Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 5

i suggest a stick on the back attached with choc or royal. gumpaste will soften if it is down in BC and they will break. It has happened to me. icon_sad.gif

springlakecake Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 5

I attached mine to a sharpened skewer and sandwiched it between two layers (one in reverse)

cinjam Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

i suggest a stick on the back attached with choc or royal. gumpaste will soften if it is down in BC and they will break. It has happened to me. icon_sad.gif

Thank you Sharon - I did not know that!

I attached sticks to the back with RI. The numbers themselves, very very slightly, got pushed into the cake too and then roses around the number. It's in the fridge setting up right now...we'll see how it holds up for transit tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Cindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%