Imbc Or Fondant In April In Florida?? Please Help

Decorating By jessfmaldonado Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm by jessfmaldonado

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a Replica Wedding Cake April 26. The Client originally wanted Fondant, now her husband wants Buttercream. I Plan to do IMBC, it is the best tasting, I am freaking out because I am afraid it will melt on me. The Party will be on a Yacht dinner cruise. By the time I load it into the van( I will have the air on), load it onto the ship, and they have dinner, do any of you think it will melt?? If I freeze the cake with IMBC, will it sweat on me while thawing?? I just have a recurring thought that everything is going to melt off of the cake. he he.

Please I would appreciate any advice, opinions, or suggestions.

P.s. We live in Florida so the sun is pretty hot here, I am mostly worried about the ride to the venue.

6 replies
lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 7

Do you know if the cake is going to be in a cool place on the yacht? I would suggest for the ride part, turn the van on a good 15-30 minutes before you load the cake, to give the air time to really cool the van down. I personally have never frozen a cake with BC on it, but I would assume it would have condensation on the surface, just like with anything else. Hopefully someone who has done it can help more with that.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:02am
post #3 of 7

From one FL girl to another... do IMBC UNDER fondant! You are looking for trouble doing a soft BC at an outdoor wedding in FL! I have seen butter cream melt like ice cream at an outdoor wedding. I just wouldn't do it. I know some people do, I'm just not one of them.

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 7

You can also do IMBC with part hi ratio shortening. Although I have never done it, Toba Garrett, in her book, suggests this for warmer weather.
HTH...Delia

jessfmaldonado Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:25am
post #5 of 7

Thanks to you all. Well I told the client that it is wise to do the fondant and of course I will do the IMBC underneath. She understood. Im glad because I already have other problems going on with this cake. lol. At least I do not have to worry about this anymore! Thanks Again

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 7

I know I'm a little late here - but I did one for two very good friends of mine a few years ago - it's in my pics - I think it's the last one - a 4-tier fondant cake -

Anyhow - it was the last weekend in April, outside at 2pm, at the University of Tampa. It was a super bright sunny day, and when I got there at noon to set it up under the beautiful, huge trees there - I found a nice shaded spot to slide the table to. Well, by the time the ceremony ended, the cake table was in total sun and it was hothothot that day.

I had done 2 cakes for them that day - the fondant one, and a cheesecake one. Both cakes did fine - I held the cheesecakes in the kitchen until right before the reception. The fondant cake had regular BC under the fondant - and it was outside for a few hours before they cut into it. I had visions of the whole thing turning into a big puddle, but it all turned out fine.

By the way--howdy neighbor!
Denise

jessfmaldonado Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks itsmylife for the reassurance!!!! Im just starting out and was freaking out. lol. This Florida sun is brutal so its been having me worried about melting cakes. Where are you located? Im in New Tampa. Nice to hear from fellow Floridians. Thanks for the help!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%