Marble Cake??

Decorating By CarriM Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 7:04pm by gottabakenow

CarriM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarriM Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 14

I have a marble cake due this weekend and have never made one before... To make it do I make a white and chocolate batter, then make 'stripes' of each in the pan and swirl together? If not, how do I make one? TIA,
Carri

13 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 14

marble cakes are really simple. i make them all the time. i'm sure theres more than one way to do it, but i make a white batter, put it in the pan, then make a marble mixture- 3 tbsp sugar, 4 tbsp cocoa, and 5 tbsp hot water- thats for a 9x13 pan. u just mix it together, drizzle it on the batter in the pan, and swirl it with a knife. bake as usual for your recipe. HTH!

icon_smile.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 14

Funny this comes up today, I am in the middle of making 2 marble cakes and a chocolate peanut butter cookie dough cake.

I have to use the 12 X18 pans for the marble and this is what I have done:
(because time is short,I'm using boxed mixes today)

made 2 yellow, and one chocolate put the yellow in the pan first, then used a giant spoon and dropped dollops of chocolate in places around the pan, swirled through the yellow and pop it in the oven.

This is how I usually make a marble, I do it with strawberry, and vanilla; and with orange and vanilla too. YUM!!!!!

Good luck!

Donna

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommicakes

Funny this comes up today, I am in the middle of making 2 marble cakes and a chocolate peanut butter cookie dough cake.

I have to use the 12 X18 pans for the marble and this is what I have done:
(because time is short,I'm using boxed mixes today)

made 2 yellow, and one chocolate put the yellow in the pan first, then used a giant spoon and dropped dollops of chocolate in places around the pan, swirled through the yellow and pop it in the oven.

This is how I usually make a marble, I do it with strawberry, and vanilla; and with orange and vanilla too. YUM!!!!!

Good luck!

Donna

Thanks for the wonderful info i didnt think of that Duh does the vanilla and orange taste like a creamcicle??? Thanks

mommicakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 14

YUP!!!!!!! thats why the kids beg for it all the time!!

Even my DH likes it. icon_lol.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 14

OH MY , im in heaven i will give it a try this weekend

CarriM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarriM Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 14

Thank you all for the replies. Now I can look forward to making this cake icon_biggrin.gif

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 14

Does marbling work with chocolate and strawberry? Anyone tired it?

Stephanie

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 14

I do my marbling like "cakedecoratingsmything", except without the sugar....

be careful with the chocolate in the yellow/white mix....chocolate takes longer to bake and expands more than the other mix. Just make sure not to do half and half...I think you need to do less than half on the chocolate.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 14

Just to offer you one more way to do it (especially if it is not a huge cake and you only need one mix)...I pour my vanilla in the pan reserving a small amount of batter in a small bowl (depending on the size of the cake) and then mix enough cocoa powder to make it really chocolate. I then drop spoonfuls on top and use a knife to get the marble effect. Good luck!

mommicakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:37pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

Just to offer you one more way to do it (especially if it is not a huge cake and you only need one mix)...I pour my vanilla in the pan reserving a small amount of batter in a small bowl (depending on the size of the cake) and then mix enough cocoa powder to make it really chocolate. I then drop spoonfuls on top and use a knife to get the marble effect. Good luck!

I've done this also. especially if its only small.(or quick)

I haven't had any trouble with the cakes cooking unevenly when I mix yellow/choc, or white/choc. I would think that the straw/choc would taste really good, I'll have to try it. (I'll put on my list for this weekend, have a bake sale for little league, good test market.) lol.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:01pm
post #12 of 14

I would think that the chocolate and strawberry would be good. I would just worry about funky color mixing.

I just did a yellow/chocolate marble. I used 1 yellow mix. Filled pan and reserved about 1 1/2 cups. Added a 1/2 cup cocoa and some hershey syrup to make a good dark chocolate. Then dropped by spoonful on top and swirled with a knife. The yellow did cook quicker, it was weird, the yellow puffed up and the center looked really sunken, but after it continued to cook, it all leveled out. Tasted really good too!

Stephanie

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:38pm
post #13 of 14

oh the strawberry and vanilla swirl sounds DELICOUS icon_smile.gif YUMMMY

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:04pm
post #14 of 14

i was wondering what would happen if i did a marble cake from scratch with a chocolate cake recipe and a white cake one. the chocolate one obviously has to bake longer- does anyone know if it works? not that im going to switch, cuz its way too easy like this. icon_lol.gif [/quote]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%