Rolled Buttercream Cracking

Decorating By lovetofrost Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 2:19pm by lovetofrost

lovetofrost Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 3

I made my very first batch of rolled buttercream. I have to tell you it tasted sooo good compared to fondant. I liked the ease of making it, but when I covered my cake when it bent around the edge it cracked. It didn't tear though. Does anyone know what I can do to fix it or if I did something wrong with the recipe to make it crack like that. Thanks and God Bless.

2 replies
misha35 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 3

I LOVE!!! the taste of the rolled buttercream.
I have actually switched to SugarShack's buttercream recipe that looks smooth like the rolled buttercream.

What kind of shortening & powdered sugar did you use?
I find when I use the store brand powdered sugars, the icing comes out better (not sure why). May have been a moisture issue. did you try to rub it to smooth it out or was it cracked too bad for this?

lovetofrost Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 3

It only "cracked" when it wrapped around the cake from the top. I think it was a little too fresh. I was using walmart brand powdered sugar, but have since switched to domino brand and crisco brand shortening and have switched to kroger brand.I haven't tried using the rbc again since then. I will see if I can master it better. that was my first time using it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%