Torting Big Cakes

Decorating By Muse Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm by kettlevalleygirl

Muse Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone have a fabulously foolproof method of torting and moving large cake layers? Like 12" and up. I can get it cut fine, but moving the top half without it crumbling is so so hard. Last time I had to slide a big cake board between the layers and scoot the top one onto it, but then replacing it was a real chore.

11 replies
DianeLM Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 12

The freezer to the rescue! I always chill those large cakes before trying to move the torted layers. If they're especially crumbly, then I will slide them onto a board then slide them back onto the cake. All of this so SO much easier when the cake is chilled (not frozen solid).

plbennett_8 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 12

Chilled for sure! I use a cookie sheet with no sides to move the layers. It works great...

JMarieSweets Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 12

How do you cut them? I have had nothing but trouble with this. Enough to frustrate me to the point of almost throwing cake across the room. Ive been so frustrated with cutting cake and getting it even.

kettlevalleygirl Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 12

The agbay - tortes cakes beautifully, well worth the expense, I don't even get paid for most of my cakes! But absolutely no frustration, now that is worth it right there!

coffeecake Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 12

As to cutting large cakes, after much experimentation, I find the best way is to use a guide (my husband made me some wood blocks that are the right height) and, using the guide to make sure you have a consistent height, run a knife all the way around the cake edges, then use fishing line to 'cut' it. You just start with the fishing line straight across the top and then bring the ends together, almost like a loop. (Ok not very eloquent description, but hopefully you get the idea).

For moving, I also use a flat cookie sheet - and chant to the Torte Goddess as I put the layer on top of the filling!

tiggy2 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 12

Cookie sheet with no edges is the way to go. The best way to cut them is with the agbay leveler however, it is very expensive. Some people use a knife and others use dental floss or fishing line (new of course). A few people have had good luck with the Wilton large leveler but most have not.

jenlg Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 12

I use Wilton's large cake leveler.

Works like a charm for torting! HTH!

leah_s Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:07pm
post #9 of 12

The Agbay, IMO, is the best cake leveler on the market. Yes, it's expensive, but quality products usually are. I gave away my Wilton levelers. Until you see the Agbay in action, you have no idea how bad the Wilton ones really are.

KahunaKakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:21pm
post #10 of 12

Where can I find an Agbay?

stsapph Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 12

OK, I just went to the website, and I so want one! Can't quite justify the cost at this time (trying to buy a house), but is definitely on the wish list.

kettlevalleygirl Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 12

hope this works.....either that, google Agbay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%