Assembly Of A Tiered Cake Question.

Decorating By sasporella Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 5:34am by Ellistwins

sasporella Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:11am
post #1 of 18

I know that when you put together a tiered cake you have to put dowels in it for stability. If you are making a 3 tier cake (2 tier on the bottom then pillars and 1 tier on the top).
1. When i have covered my 2nd tier and a thin board that it is on with fondant, do i have to put anything ontop of the 1 tier cake (royal or anything) to hold the 2nd tier cake board in place.
2. When i assemble the 3rd tier ontop of pillars am i right in thinking that the dowels go from the top of the pillars down through the 2nd tier cake? Also same again do i need to put anything under and ontop of the pillars to hold the 3rd tier board and cake in place? What stops it from slipping off?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense (it did in my head but i am not so sure now it is down in writing) lol icon_lol.gif

17 replies
debster Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:42am
post #2 of 18

Ok the dowels go through each 2 layers that make your 4"cake, then a board. Another 4"cake doweled then a board and so on. Now if you want to join all together for stability you take a long dowel and sharpen the end in a pencil sharpener, put it through all three 4" layers including the boards. Does this make sense? HTH

Ellistwins Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 18

I also want to know this and I understand the bottom two tiers witht he long dowl to keep it stabel. But the pillars. Do you need a cake devider on top of the bottom cake and how do you keep that in place?

sasporella, thanks for asking the question, i wanted to ask yesterday and I couldn't get into the site.

ranbel Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 18

This is how I understand your question.

Bottom tier with 1 stacked...use 4-6 dowls in the bottom tier to support the next tier stacked on top. If you are using fondant you may want to put a dap of icing to keep it from slipping and if you are putting a border around your cakes, that will help too.

The top tier which will be on pillars??? your pillars will push thru the 2nd tier and therefore, you will not need dowel rods for that. The pillars will support your top tier. And as for that tier if you are using cakeboards you can use slip grip between the plate and the cake board to keep if from slipping...

hope that helps....if I answered your questions correctly.

debster Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:05pm
post #5 of 18

Ok for pillars you can't dowel through the whole cake like the boards. You have a plastic plate on the top of the bottom tier and a plastic plate on the bottom of the top tier and those plates have little nibs that the pillars fit into. Does this make sense? Check out my baby retro cake that may help you see what I'm saying. HTH

debster Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:08pm
post #6 of 18

I'm confused now, hehehehehe I think I'm talking about something differnt????? icon_surprised.gif Am I?

Ellistwins Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 18

But what if the bride don't want to see that plates? I thought the pillars is hollow, open at the bottom closed at the top. Then the dowl is long &thick enough to hold the pillar not to put weight on the cake. Am I silly of thinking doing it that way?

debster Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 18

Yes they have something like that but this is where I have to drop out, I've never done one that way sorry, hope someone else can come by to help. Doesn't some of the Wilton books show in the back of the book the different types and the stacking? Go to their site, and they show stuff there. HTH I'm a visual person.

Ellistwins Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 18

Thanks debster and sasporella

sasporella Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:40pm
post #10 of 18

Thanks guys, i think i get it now, icon_confused.gif sort of lol.

namaman Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:25pm
post #11 of 18

Here is link from Wilton that shows assembly for a Combination Pillar & Stacked Construction... Hope this helps!!

Ellistwins Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm
post #12 of 18

thanks a mill. I should get the push-in pillars for my cake as the bride don't want the plate on top of the cake.

sasporella Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:38pm
post #13 of 18

Thanks for the link namaman, that explains it perfectly. Thanks once again. thumbs_up.gif

sasporella Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:09pm
post #14 of 18

Sorry i forgot to ask. If the pillars are the type that are hollow for the dowel to go down through, do i still need the seperator plates?

Ellistwins Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:28am
post #15 of 18

I discussed this last night with my decorating teacher. If you have the hollow type for the down, you don't need the seperator plates. I'm putting my tips to the test next week.

sasporella Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:07pm
post #16 of 18

Thanks Ellistwins, please let me know how it turns out/works for you. icon_biggrin.gif

Ellistwins Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:33am
post #17 of 18

will do.

Ellistwins Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:34am
post #18 of 18

will do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%