Air Brush Help

Decorating By mysweetconfetions Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 3:23am by bisbqueenb

mysweetconfetions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetconfetions Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:30am
post #1 of 5

My DH just got me a small air compresser and airbrush set. I have never used an air brush on cakes before and was wondering what kind of colors do you use in them? I know that there are some companies that make colors just for air brushing but can you also use regular colors thinned down? Thanks

4 replies
2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 5

oh no. Dont use anything in it but airbrush colors. It can clog and ruin it.
Grab you some americolor or chef master or any brand air brush coloring and use them. They are the right consistency and work beautifully. Almost all cake supply sites and cake supply stores usually sell them.
Look around in your area you may have a place close by and not know it.
You can also use luster dusts in it thinned to a pint consistency with vodka or alcohol based flavoring, clear vanillas, lemon extract that sort of thing.

pjem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjem Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, I am new to this site and new to cake decorating. I received a Chef master sprayer that seems to be a couple of years old(no idea how old) with some colors from a client. I was wondering how long the colors last and if any one knows where I can get instructions for it (they did not have any papers for it). I have no idea how to use it or how to clean it.

Thanks for the help.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 2:27am
post #4 of 5

Air brush colors will last for yrsicon_smile.gif I had some over 15 yrs and they worked just perfectly. They do not spoil that I could tell. No one got sick; they didn't have anoff smell or any thing.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:23am
post #5 of 5

Contrary to popular belief....YOU CAN USE REGULAR food coloring in an airbrush! You can not get the great color selection that the 'airbrush' colors come in, but if you get a bottle of red, blue and yellow...the primary colors, you can learn to use the airbrush and mix colors to learn what can be done! As with the 'real airbrush colors' CLEANING is the most important part to remember! Never leave color...any kind....in the airbrush when you finish working. You can easily get started learning what you can and can't do with the airbrush using plain ol' food coloring....even water it down a bit to get more milage from a bottle. Practice is the key to mastering how to use it to its best advantage. And there are SOOOOO many ways you can use it on a daily basis once you learn.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%