Write On Fondant?

Decorating By jonicca Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 11:05pm by jonicca

jonicca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonicca Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:04am
post #1 of 10

I need to make a piece of fondant look like a piece of paper (perhaps even a scroll). I also need to have a poem written on it and have it drape down the side of a 3-tier round cake. HOW, in the world, can I do this????? icon_eek.gif

9 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:47am
post #2 of 10

You have to roll your fondant very very thin. almost as thin as paper. I would use a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste mix so it won't be so brittle when it dries. I would write on it with an edible food marker. Just let it set for about 5 minutes after you roll it out. It doesn't needs to be very dry, and with the markers you don't have to press very hard to write. Then pick it up and drape it on your cake. I would definitely do a practice one first because your timing on this is going to make or break how it is able to drape. You can't let it get to dry or it will crack when you try to drape it, but you need the surface just dry enough to write on it.

jonicca Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you some much!! I'm not familiar with gumpaste, so I'll definitely be doing some trial runs!!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonicca

I need to make a piece of fondant look like a piece of paper (perhaps even a scroll). I also need to have a poem written on it and have it drape down the side of a 3-tier round cake. HOW, in the world, can I do this????? icon_eek.gif

I did one like that in November, did you find the ideal on a website? Thats where the bride found it and i had to contact the bakery ( it was in Nevada ) and get there permisson to copy it most bakeries have a copy right, any way i rolled out my fondant and cut it the size i needed, then i took and marker that was burgundy(not food safe) and wrote the Bible verse the bride wanted , I made sure that she knew that the writing was not edible, she was ok with it she was going to try to keep it, be careful when draping it make sure it is straight, had a problem with that part,

jonicca Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you cakebaker, and no I actually didn't get this idea drom a website. I designed a cake for my mother that incorporates her many artistic talents. . .one of which is writing. I want it to look like the "paper" is just laid across the cake, from the top down. How do you think it would work with edible markers?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:04am
post #6 of 10

you can also use wafer or rice paper. icon_smile.gif

jonicca Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:17am
post #7 of 10

Thanks Diane! I thought about doing this, but I'm not sure how. Last the rice paper over the fondant?

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:22am
post #8 of 10

No offense, but rice paper or wafer paper I don't think would be flexible enough to drape down the cake.

Gumpaste is just like fondant. In fact I can't tell the difference unless they are in the bucket. Just weigh out equal parts of each and knead them together and then roll it out very, very thin like paper. The gumpaste will give it the strength needed so it doesn't crack and break and the fondant will keep it from drying too fast so it will remain flexible until you can get it on the cake. HTH.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:44am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonicca

Thank you cakebaker, and no I actually didn't get this idea drom a website. I designed a cake for my mother that incorporates her many artistic talents. . .one of which is writing. I want it to look like the "paper" is just laid across the cake, from the top down. How do you think it would work with edible markers?

i took gold luster dust and painted the edges and made it look like parchment payment and yes i laid it on the top cake and let it casade down to the bottom and it laid on the bottom plate or board, if you have the color that would work with the edible pens i think it would do fine, take a piece of scrap fondant and write on it and let it dry to see what it will look like my bride wanted burgundy and i couldnt find one in it so i used a marker Good luck let us know how it did

jonicca Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you cakebaker, I just need blackink so I think I'll try out the edible ink. I'll post a pic when its done, but that won't be until June1st!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%