Patchwork Cutters? Anyone Use Them?

Decorating By fondantfrenzy Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 8:17pm by diane

fondantfrenzy Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:37am
post #1 of 3

Ok, so I have seen all these nice cakes with patchwork cutters and I purchase the diamonds and also the purse/shoe one. It came in the mail today and I am looking at them and thinking to myself how do I use this thing and the instructions really dont have pictures and i am a picture person.

So this picture is what made me purchase the cutters and I am looking at this picture and looking at my cutters and looking at my picture and back at the cutters and scratching my head. Granted I have not had time to play with it yet, but is it a correct assumption that for the colored parts they totally pressed it down to get a cut out and for the embossing they partially pushed it in?

The other question I have, is i would like to make the diamond quilt design, I bought a impression mat made of plastic and this patchwork cutter to, I only want the diamonds on the side of the cake. Do i push the patchwork diamond thing on the side of the cake after the fondant is on the cake? icon_eek.gif

Sorry, i opened my big mouth and offered to made a cake for a first communion and it has to be flawless. It is for our family friend, and they have lots of money, so getting a high end cake and paying for it is no object for them, but it was more like the gesture of me making it for their daughter and the love that goes into the cake, and I SOOOOO can't mess it up...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.... HELP! icon_surprised.gif Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer icon_confused.gif
LL

2 replies
peg818 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 3

those pieces you are looking at look to be done in a white then painted later.

To use the cutters roll your gumpaste (works best with gum paste but you can get a way with fondant) quite thin, let it dry some on the surface, then lightly grease your cutter, and firmly press and cut the item out.

The pieces that look like they are over laid are the flowers on the shoe and the green purse, which is just the small flower that comes in the set, paint the purse or shoe before adding the flower adhere with a little gum glue

diane Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

those pieces you are looking at look to be done in a white then painted later.

To use the cutters roll your gumpaste (works best with gum paste but you can get a way with fondant) quite thin, let it dry some on the surface, then lightly grease your cutter, and firmly press and cut the item out.

The pieces that look like they are over laid are the flowers on the shoe and the green purse, which is just the small flower that comes in the set, paint the purse or shoe before adding the flower adhere with a little gum glue

couldn't have said it better myself! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%