How Do I...put Ribon On A Cake ??

Decorating By teesme2000 Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 12:50pm by LetThereBeCake07

teesme2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teesme2000 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:34am
post #1 of 5

How do you wrap a ribbon around the base of a cake and make it stick (attach it) ?? And how do you make sure the grease does not leak through onto the ribbon ?? I know this has been asked before, but I think the info was lost with the crash. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks !!

4 replies
shantel575 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shantel575 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:51am
post #2 of 5

I usually wrap it around the cake and use a dab of icing to attach the ends together at the back of the cake. Certain ribbons can be attached with spaced dabs of icing without the grease coming through, it just depends. I have also dampened the ribbon with plain water and it adheres to the cake that way (just like sticking wet fondant to a cake when decorating) and the water dries without being visible.

I tell ya, I have been using piping gel for a LOT of stuff lately.. it's a wonderful "glue" in cake decorating and it only takes a very small dab. It works for all sorts of things!

Good luck icon_smile.gif

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:05am
post #3 of 5

I use the same techniques as Shantel, but also wanted to add that I have actually put a thin layer of frosting on the back of the ribbon so the grease would seep through evenly (a VERY thin layer, if you use a lot of icing, it can go over the edge & you don't want that)... I suggest testing a small portion of ribbon to see how the icing will work with your ribbon. You can also use a plastic strip between the cake & ribbon, just cut it slightly shorter than the ribbon & only use the "icing glue" in the back, or even use a bit of tape to secure (if the back of the cake isn't visible)

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 5

i read once that someone sprayed the back of the ribbon with pam so that it would be even in color.

i attatch my ribbon with a tiny straight pin. You can see the head of the pin but since its only one or two in the back of the cake its no big deal. you have to remove the ribbon before cutting so its not like someone will acidentaly aet the pin (unless they eat the ribbon too!) i also make sure to remind the person to remove the ribbon and pin...just in case someone is hungry for fabric and metal icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%