Color Striping Bc

Decorating By melysa Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm by vickinc

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:51am
post #1 of 6

i know this must be simple, but i need a little instruction. i'll be frosting cupcakes to look like roses using wilton 1M tip doing the large rosette swirl. i'd like the roses to be two tone - is this called color striping and how do you do it? i'd like for one of the colors to be just a hint of color, not equal amounts.

thanks for any help.

5 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:08am
post #2 of 6

You can paint a stripe of color gel paste in your icing bag. From where the tip meets the bag up to almost where you'll twist it. That will give you a stripe in your piping.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:09am
post #3 of 6

You mean you want the individual petals to all have two colors? If so, you just take the two colors you want, we'll say mostly yellow with a stripe of red, just for illustration. You would open your piping bag and smear a stripe (or two or three) of red on the sides of the bag. THICK stripes, but not filling the bag. Then add yellow to fill the bag. Do a few test petals to make sure the color is coming out as you want it, then rose away!

(And if it doesn't work out, at least you can mix the colors and make nice peach colored roses! icon_wink.gif )

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:22am
post #4 of 6

thank you both. i'm doing an alice in wonderland party with a queen of hearts theme. i've got the queen and cards modeled out of gumpaste and am doing a cupcake tower of rose cupcakes. so i'm wanted to do some plain white, some mostly red with a touch of white and some plain red. so i guess i will have to do the frosting smear inside instead of the color gel, i dont want to end up with pink ( i have americolor white gel but i think it'd turn pink?) . anyway, i'm just doing the rosette swirl, not actually petals. i guess i need to do a test and see how it turns out. i think i just needed it confirmed that i didnt have to fill the bag with equal amounts of each color. it didnt seem to be the look i was going for. thanks again.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 6

You're welcome. Let me know how it works out for you and don't forget to post a picture when you're done. icon_wink.gif

vickinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickinc Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 6

I use a skewer or a dowel rod to add wilton paste color to the sides of my bag. I have pictures of swirls done with the striped variation on my photos of cakes. Everyone loves the stripes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%