Red Velvet Cheesecake?!

Decorating By KonfectionKonnection Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 5:03pm by KonfectionKonnection

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:28am
post #1 of 12

I have a friend at work who keeps going on about this terrific "red velvet cheesecake"--and could I please find the recipe? He's so helpful to me at work (at a place that is becoming more and more challenging to work), that I would love to surprise him by making the recipe, if I can find it.

I tried my usual sites, but the only recipe I came up w/ is: http://www.recipezaar.com/107766

Do you suppose this is what he means? Or do you know of another that would be delicious? (It's not completely unselfish--I love red velvet cake!)

Thanks for any help!

11 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:07am
post #2 of 12

Well... I guess you could do a light chocolate cheesecake with some buttermilk and a lot of red coloring subbed for part of the cream/milk/whatever liquid.

KonfectionKonnection Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 12

I actually thought at first that he meant a cheese cake, w/ a layer of red velvet cake on top. It wasn't until I talked to him again, and then found this recipe, that I realized he meant literally a "red velvet cheesecake."

Has anyone tried anything like this? Or is everyone as unfamiliar as I am?
(I guess I'll have to make it and see--how awful . . . .) icon_rolleyes.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 12

haha nope, I've never heard of it till you asked icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 12

I read through the recipe, and I believe that it is exactly what I would expect a red velvet cheesecake to have in it.

Bake it in a bain marie, or water bath, for best results.

Please let us know how it turns out!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mommakeef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakeef Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 12

Definitely let us know and post a pic! That sounds delish!!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 12

this was in Southern Living.. could this be it??

Did anyone beside me see this in Southern Living..WOW I love Red Velvet cake but this is awsome. Not for the faint of heart and do not substitute the BUTTER

1 1/2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs(I did not know there was such a thing until this week)
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tablespoon sugar
3 8oz pack cream cheese
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 large beaten eggs
3 tbs unsweetened cocoa
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tsp white vinegar
2 1oz bottles red food coloring
1 3oz package cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
mint sprigs

Stir graham cracker crumbs with melted and 1 tbs sugar press into bottom of springform pan

beat 3 9oz packs cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups sugar at med speed with mixer 1 minute. Add eggs and next 6 ingredients on low speed. pour batter into crust

Bake at 325 for 10 minutes reduce heat to 300 and bake for one hour and 15 minutes until center is firm run knife along outer edge of cheesecake turn oven off. Let stand in oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven coll on wire rack Cover and chill 8 hours.

Beat 1 3oz pack cream cheese and 1/4 butter at med speed until smooth. gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla. Spresd evenly over top of cheescake remove sides of springform pan. Garnish with mint leave.

Have a great Holiday

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 12

sorry.. same recipe you found all your site!!!!!

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 12

wow that recipe from southern living sounds really good I can't wait to hear about it.

KonfectionKonnection Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:08am
post #10 of 12

Glad I'm not the only one who hadn't heard of this--but as red velvet is about my favorite cake, this is research I'm more than willing to do.

It may take a few days, as I work all weekend at my "real" job--but I'll give an update as soon as I can! icon_wink.gif

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:06am
post #11 of 12

I have made the Red Velvet Cheesecake posted form Southern Living many times. It is delicious!! I have several requests a year from family members for that cheesecake.

KonfectionKonnection Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 5:03pm
post #12 of 12

Finally got the time to try this recipe--although I had to improvise a little. I live in a small town, so no chocolate graham cracker crumbs for the crust. I used a pre-made chocolate crust, which didn't work as well, of course--one made using the recipe would have been better.

However, as far as the rest of it--very rich, but very yummy! Definitely a recipe to try if you like Red Velvet and Cheesecake! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%