How Do You Do The Wire That Comes Out Of A Cake?

Decorating By disneynutbsv Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 1:27am by beachcakes

disneynutbsv Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:05am
post #1 of 8

sometimes I see they are swirly, sometimes they are straight and is it fondant pieces you put on top? How do they stay on?
Thanks!

7 replies
Amia Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:42am
post #2 of 8

You use floral wire (it comes in pre-cut pieces at Michael's) and you just stick it into the fondant/gumpaste piece and let it dry. Use coffee stir straws when putting the wire in the cake so it doesn't fall over and tear the cake - you just stick the straw into the cake and the wire into the straw. HTH thumbs_up.gif

disneynutbsv Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:37am
post #3 of 8

Thank you! I believe if I tried I never would have tried the coffee stirrers and it would have made a mess.

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 8

i was wondering too....
let me make sure i understand the coffee straw. You put it in the cake so it does not show, correct? and that helps stabalize the wire??

Amia Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 8

Well that's how I do it icon_biggrin.gif I also cover the hole with a little extra bc because the straw is wider than the wire. With fondant, I put the stirrer in before I cover and leave it sticking out just a little so it makes an indention and I can tell where it is to put the wire in (it gets pushed down into the cake when I smooth). There may be other, better methods...I'm still a newbie, but that's my method anyway. thumbs_up.gif

Guera Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:11am
post #6 of 8

Thanks a lot!!! I didn't know about the coffe straws and I've made cakes with wire and it tears the cake. With your help hopefully this will never happen again. Another question: What size of wire? Because sometimes the fondant decoration is heavy and bends the wire down, how can I prevent this?

Marci Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:09am
post #7 of 8

You can get different gauges of wire. The thicker the gauge, the stronger the wire and it will be able to hold up heavier pieces.

beachcakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:27am
post #8 of 8

I've torn cakes before with lollipop sticks! For those, use straws! icon_wink.gif The lower the number guage of wire, the thicker wire. They sell a few precut sizes in the craft stores.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%