New Business Name?? Need Help And Honest Opinions!

Business By step0nmi Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 4:32pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:47am
post #1 of 35

I know I have asked this before. But, I really need to know on a business level if any of these names are going to be beneficial to a cake decorating business.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THESE NAMES! i WANT/NEED to print some business cards soon to do some marketing!
Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

It was: Stephâs Sweet Cakery (something about Steph that I donât think is professional)
Stephanieâs Custom Cakery (seems too long)
The Custom Cakery (i like; but doesn't have a name in there?
S. & J.âs Custom Cakery (this is what I wanted....DOES THIS SEEM MEMORABLE? and the initials stand for mine and my husbands first names because he helps so much!)

34 replies
maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:09am
post #2 of 35

S. & J.âs Custom Cakery

That one sounds best when saying it out loud.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:14am
post #3 of 35

S. & J.âs Custom Cakery

step0nmi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:21am
post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

S. & J.âs Custom Cakery

thank you! i guess i never tried to say it out loud!

I like
S&J's Custom Cakery
AND
The Custom Cakery

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:40am
post #5 of 35

I really like The Cutom Cakery.
I think that one sounds the best.

asmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asmith Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:49am
post #6 of 35

I like S & J's Custom Cakery the best.

jonicca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonicca Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:49am
post #7 of 35

WOW. . .I guess great minds think alike because I was thinking of "Something Something Custom Cakes." Still working out the "something." I like S & J's Custom Cakery.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:17am
post #8 of 35

I like The Custom Cakery. Personally, and it's just my two cents, I don't care much for business names with peoples names in the title. I like names that leave an impression in my mind. The Custom Cakery makes me think "Hmm....I can get any kind of cake there"

GL!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:29am
post #9 of 35

I like The Custom Cakery...although...there is a bakery here in my neck of the woods call JS Watkins...and everyone knows their name....

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:42am
post #10 of 35

I like S & J Custom Cakes

I don't care for Cakery. It doesn't roll off the mouth right.

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:47am
post #11 of 35

I don't know if you have many bakeries in your phone book, but you might want to consider a name that alphabetically would put you near the top. Custom Cakery would - I don't know if the word "The" would effect that aspect or not - I'd have to look at a phone book.

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:57am
post #12 of 35

I'm not a fan of initial's for a business name...

Custom Cakery is what I prefer...or Custom Cakes.
I'd leave out the "The"-makes it confusing when looking in a phonebook for a business name starting with "The" "A"...

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:06pm
post #13 of 35

I like Custom Cakery. I thought about how each would sound when you answer the phone "Custom cakery, how can I help you?" and/or how it would sound on a voice mail message. I think that one sounds best.

I also agree it is better to be in the upper portion of the phone book and that it leaves a picture in your mind about having a specialty cake made there.

Lots of bakeries use this name tho' so do some research in your area and make sure noone already has one the same or close (So you don't get confused with each other- you don't want to have your customers going somewhere else by accident, thinking it was you.)

Good luck!!

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:12pm
post #14 of 35

I like S&J Custom Cakes. If I ever get mine going I wanted Cake Creations

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:36pm
post #15 of 35

I'll go ahead and throw off the curve by saying I like Stephanie's Custom Cakes. It's simple, it says who you are and what you do. No initials to confuse people ("I want to order a cake from that place...what was it called....J&S Cakes? S&G Cakes?"). I also like cakes better than cakery.

Good luck with your decision!

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:52pm
post #16 of 35

Well, I got flamed pretty bad last time I mentioned my opinion (and traditional business wisdom!) of having a name in the business name... so I won't go there again..

BUT I think "cakery" sounds a bit too old fashioned. Not *quite* pretentious, but sort of, if that makes sense?

What about "The Custom Cake"?

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:41pm
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdica

I like The Custom Cakery. Personally, and it's just my two cents, I don't care much for business names with peoples names in the title. I like names that leave an impression in my mind. The Custom Cakery makes me think "Hmm....I can get any kind of cake there"

GL!

I agree. I don't like business names with people's names either. I guess it depends on the vibe you are looking for. To me, names sound homey. Like home made goodness. The custom cakery sounds stylish and modern. I guess it just depends on your style. thumbs_up.gif

Prudence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prudence Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:51pm
post #18 of 35

I like The Custom Cakery. My business name is Glass Slipper Cakery. I like the "Cakery" because it is not a "bakery".

I am not a fan of names or initials in a business name either.

Personal opinion....

step0nmi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:52pm
post #19 of 35

ah! you guys are killing me here! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

yeah, I think I like "The Custom Cakery"...the only reason for this is I don't just do a cake....ya know! like peacockplace said it sounds kind of modern and classy.

And I was thinking about the initials because I wanted to include my husband....my name JUST had my name in it before. And he was tickled pink when I did it...PLUS it looked soo cool with poor richard font, but I can see where this would just look kind of like a law office! icon_lol.gif

You guys are awesome! I am sooo glad this site is back up and running! icon_biggrin.gif

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:16pm
post #20 of 35

I like Custom Cakery also. I think it is a catching name and would be easy to remember and at my age...something I could remeber would be a plus icon_lol.gif

I couldn't help but think this thought, "Hello, Custom Cakery, we put the details into your customize cake" icon_smile.gif , I know, I am silly icon_biggrin.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

step0nmi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #21 of 35

Sharon...you are too cute! icon_biggrin.gif

I am Custom Cakes for that Special Occasion.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:59pm
post #22 of 35

icon_biggrin.gif , Thanks Step0nmi!

Now I like that opening...it's has a ring to it thumbs_up.gif

God Bless & Good Luck with what ever name you pick!
Sharon

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:11pm
post #23 of 35

Custom Cakery-IMHO.

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:15pm
post #24 of 35

I agree with the few that aren't keen on the word "cakery." To me, it just sounds like a made up word.

::tossing up some other ideas:: How about something with Kenosha in it? Kenosha Custom Cakes? Lakeside Custom Cakes? Not quite as generic as Custom Cakes.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:17pm
post #25 of 35

I personally do not like the names in a bakery name, in my experience if the name is in there then people who are calling know that the bakery belongs to "Stephanie" and then that is the only person that they want to talk to. I use to work for a place called Cakes by Darlene and about 80% of the calls would specifically ask to speak to her and it was usually just something as easy as taking an order. Seems like they just feel that if they speak to the owner they will get better treatment. As far as the phonebook thing, that was a big thing for me, I named mine A Sweet Celebration - Specialty Bakery, for one it shows that we don't do just one type of occasion (like wedding or birthday) and the other reason was that it put me at the top of the phonebook. I am in Oklahoma and if you were to go with The Custom Cakery they would list you in the C's as Custom Cakery, the. Good Luck

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:22pm
post #26 of 35

I like The Custom Cakery. icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:35pm
post #27 of 35

the reason I don't want to do anything with Kenosha in it is because if I have this bakery and then take it to CA I want it to have sort of a "generic" name that sounds like something I do! So, The Custom Cakery is one that I liked because it says that and is short and sweet!

Thanks to all of your for your opinions! icon_biggrin.gif

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:40pm
post #28 of 35

I like The Custom Cakery. icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #29 of 35

thanks for all the input everyone!

I forgot...my line is: Custom designed cakes for that special occasion. Maybe it should be: Custom cakes for that special occasion....?hmmm...to have "designed" or not to have "designed"!? icon_lol.gif

candee2300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candee2300 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:09pm
post #30 of 35

I like Sweet Cakes by Steph-or Steph's Sweet Cakes. I don't really like the word cakery (it's not a real word). But that is my opinion and if you use it, more power to you and I hope you are blessed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%