Help Coloring Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By just_desserts Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 3:14pm by bellatrixothersis

just_desserts Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:02am
post #1 of 13

I don't have an airbrush & want to color/highlight my GP flowers. I brush on the powered color & "swish" thru steam, but then they look speckled. (little dots of color) Is there any tutorials/books etc showing how to do it. I tried brushing vodka on them & it still looks terrible.

Any help would be appreciated.

12 replies
dailey Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 13

are the flowers completely dry? this happened to me before when i dusted and the flowers were still "damp". also, used a good quality brush...it made a huge difference for me.

bellatrixothersis Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 13

Do you brush on the vodka on top of the dusted flower? Try mixing the vodka with a bit of the powder color and painting it on the gumpaste like watercolors.

Sugarflowers Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 13

What type of powdered food coloring are you using? If you are using the candy colors, they are not as fine and might cause specks. Petal dust is finer and less like to to speck. Not all brands are equal though. Every once in a while I'll get a great color that clumps.

Before brushing onto dry or damp petals, be sure your brush is very lightly loaded. By this I mean to dip the brush into the color, remove most of it, and remove a little more on a paper towel. You can use the color on the paper towel to get small amounts of color onto your brush.

Good luck with your flowers.

Michele

sweetthingcakery Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:36am
post #5 of 13

I have also found the petal dust to be the best bet and a VERY LIGHT dusting (if putting on dry) with a VERY LIGHT hand. A good brush and dry flowers are a must too. I have also found that if the gumpaste is not smooth in texture, the coloring get's caught in the grooves. Sometimes using a compressed air can to blow out the "extra" dust helps too. Be sure to hold the can about 12 inches from the flower. Hope this helps! Good Luck!!!

just_desserts Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:52am
post #6 of 13

Thanks for the information. I have CK's (before I knew better) Powder Food Color Kit. So, maybe that's the problem. I'll keep practicing.

I only tried using the vodka after I wasn't happy the the "dry" results. I did mix some of the color with the vodka to experiment & think it would work for some applications but not what I was working with at the time.

I have Leslie Herbert's Sugar Flowers book & she shows when to dust & a picture of the flower petal after it's dusted & that's a big help.

Thanks again.

bellatrixothersis Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 10:51am
post #7 of 13

I am new at gumpaste and coloring them too. just desserts - what do you mean -before I knew better? regarding ck?....Does one brand work better then ck?

Sugarflowers Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrixothersis

I am new at gumpaste and coloring them too. just desserts - what do you mean -before I knew better? regarding ck?....Does one brand work better then ck?

I think what is meant is that sometimes the mix can be grainy. I used it at first and then asked an expert what she used. She used fondant mixed with Tylose. I've been using that ever since with very good results.

HTH

Michele

playingwithsugar Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 13

For lightening your colors to highlight, or to bring some white into the flower, the best powder to use is cornstarch.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jmt1714 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 13

i use chalk pastels that I grate with a microplaner - some I use full strength, some I mix ith a tad of cornstarch.

after dusting, I blow off any extra, and then steam.

bellatrixothersis Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 10:47am
post #11 of 13

I'm confused -Sugarflowers- when you say the mix can be grainy are we talking about the gumpaste itself or the petal dust? --I have CK's (before I knew better) Powder Food Color Kit.-- I thought CK was the petal dust?? thanks

Sugarflowers Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:21pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrixothersis

I'm confused -Sugarflowers- when you say the mix can be grainy are we talking about the gumpaste itself or the petal dust? --I have CK's (before I knew better) Powder Food Color Kit.-- I thought CK was the petal dust?? thanks

CK makes petal dusts and gumpaste mix. The petal dust is very nice. The mix is what I was saying was grainy for me. It may work for some, but I had many problems with it.

Powdered food colors are usually for candy coloring. They are good for base colors, but not for fine detail. At least this has been my experience.

Michele

bellatrixothersis Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:14pm
post #13 of 13

Got it! Thanks - I've been shaving down some of my old pastels (former art major) They work fine when the gumpaste is somewhat dry. These are practice for me so I know no one will eat them. I did buy petal dust at a local bake supply, but over 3.00 for 2 oz is a bit much. Will order online even paying shipping, I'll do better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%