Turning Chocolate Buttercream Red?

Decorating By SugarLand Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 7:46pm by tonedna

SugarLand Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 11

I have a request for chocolate buttercream icing but the outside of the cake needs to be red. It can even be a slightly off shade of red but red nonetheless. Fondant is not an option. Any ideas/suggestions?

Any help is appreciated!

10 replies
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:27am
post #2 of 11

Red is a primary color and cannot be created from other colors.

Is there a chocolate flavoring out there that can be added to red-tinted BC for a chocolate flavor? Will "spray painting" work on chocolate?

I'll be watching this thread so I can learn what suggestions others have for this.

SugarLand Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:43am
post #3 of 11

i wondered if it could be done. i sure hope so. icon_sad.gif

Petit-four Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:46am
post #4 of 11

Some thoughts (which I am sure you've considered):

1) would they accept white chocolate? Then of course, red coloring would be easy.
2) a rich chocolate filling (maybe torte the layers an extra time to really load it up with chocolate), red butter-cream exterior. They would taste a lot of chocolate.
3) Ice the cake in chocolate butter-cream, chill it really well, and then pipe a thinner #18 red butter-cream about 1/4 inch apart, gently smooth it over the chocolate (or do red-basketweave over chocolate). In effect, 2 layers of icing.
4) Tint powdered sugar red, and press several layers over damp chocolate icing. (But, in a way, isn't that just what MMF is? A lot of powdered sugar). icon_rolleyes.gif

I've gotten this sort of request too: but I've been able to persude die-hard chocoholics to go with #1 or #2. I'd love to know what you decide!

tonedna Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:47am
post #5 of 11

I would do maybe a light flavored chocolate buttercream maybe so I can give it some color.. But is is full chocolate color.. I say good luck.. Someone might have other ideas!
Edna

julzs71 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:00am
post #6 of 11

How about if you covered the whole cake in chocolate frosting, stick it in the fridge to get hard and then put a thin layer of red icing on top of the chocolate?

TooMuchCake Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:07am
post #7 of 11

Look in my photos at the Father Christmas cake. His coat is a light chocolate that had some red added to it to make a brick color.

Deanna

indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:08am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit-four

3) Ice the cake in chocolate butter-cream, chill it really well, and then pipe a thinner #18 red butter-cream about 1/4 inch apart, gently smooth it over the chocolate (or do red-basketweave over chocolate). In effect, 2 layers of icing.

What a great idea!! Espeically the basketweave, which would be super easy!

SugarLand Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:47pm
post #9 of 11

wow! I love this place! So many great ideas! Actually that father christmas coat is a great shade. I think I will try that first and if it is not chocolatety enough I am going to try the idea of frosting in choc, chilling and then piping with an 18 and smoothing and adding that nice thick choc filling! Thanks ALL!

Petit-four Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 11

You're welcome, and I look forward to hearing how it turned out!

tonedna Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:46pm
post #11 of 11

I love that idea Petit-four icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%