Cake Balls Look Like Horse Dung ~ Help!!!

Decorating By Starkie Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 12:44am by Starkie

Starkie Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 15

How do you get your cake balls to look so smooth and nice? Mine (see pix below) tend to look like horse or elephant droppings. I am using Candy Melts, and dipping the truffles in with the fork thingy (also pictured), and setting them out on wax paper. They always spread on the wax paper, and then I have diarrhea horse droppings!

I can stripe these with white candy melts, but I would like to be able to serve them with just a plain chocolate covering. What can I do???

14 replies
sugarshack Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:02am
post #2 of 15

looks like your choc is too thick.

by any chance is it Wilton choc? thumbsdown.gif

use a better brand like Merkens or try to add melted shortening to your choc to make it flow smoother. after you dip them, let them hang over the bowl till the dripping stops. you will always get some degree of puddling on the paper. i just trim that off with a knife after it sets up..

kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:17am
post #3 of 15

Some of the reasons chocolate does not flow and coat nicely are:
too thick - usually because it is old

You have to get it just the right temp and hold it there when dipping. If the 1st one or two are find then it's probably cooling off too soon. Try putting the bowl of melted choco on a heating pad or set in an electric fry pan set at lowest temp possible.
If it's not heated enough it probably will be somewhat lumpy. Just put it in the MW for 10-20 seconds - of course time will vary depending on how much you are working with.
If it is thick and no amount of heating thins it's oldicon_sad.gif You can try adding shortening OR what is called 'paramount crystals' - waxy flakes that melt into the choco.

butterflywings Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:08am
post #4 of 15

i use my fondant pot on low to keep my chocolate melted

tobycat Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:00am
post #5 of 15

I've got some pics of cake balls/truffles in my photos. It's actually pretty easy to get them to come out like that, but you need to have a chocolate melter (I have the Wilton), and you need to follow some steps.

I had a tutorial with pics posted here in the forums, but it got erased with the crash. I'll forward some directions to you if you want. It's really late though here, and going out of town for a couple of weeks, so I won't be able to get them to you until then, but let me know if you're interested and I'll send them.

Don't worry, there IS a way! thumbs_up.gif

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 15

another thing that helps is make sure you are starting with nice cake balls before you dip. If they are too soft or sticky you will have problems. I roll mine and then pop them into the freezer (or fridge) and wait about 15 mins, then i dip them. This works great on holding form but the only thing you have to pay attention to is that the cold balls will firm up your chocolate so you have to work quick or remelt chocolate (or use a pot ot the other suggestions above) to keep your chocolate fluid.

as for as brand goes someone once recomended the almond bark that you buy at the grocery store. it comesin vanilla or milk chocolate. (solid chocolate, no nuts or anything in it) anyway, when i moved south i lost all cake and candy supply places and the wilton stuff sucks (asp the white!) I gave the almond bark a try and it melts and molds great, and i never have to add anything to it.

Starkie Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:58pm
post #7 of 15

These are some wonderful tips, and I thank you all! LetThereBeCake, does the Almond Bark harden after it dries like the candy melts, or does it stay soft? I want something that "melts in your mouth, not in your hands", know what I mean?

tbittner Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:08pm
post #8 of 15

What I do is fill my crock pot with hot water and turn it on high. I then fill my glass or metal bowl with the chocolate (pre-melted in the microwave) and place it in the hot water( be sure NO water or steam gets in the bowl!) This keeps the chocolate warm and at a great temp. I also add parafin wax to it too keep it smooth, shortening works as well. Dip and let the excess fall off, then put on parchment to dry. I have found if the cake balls are frozen it makes this whole process much easier!
Thsi is what works and I did not have to buy anything new to make it work.

seskenn Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 15

I actually use one of those mini crock pots to melt my candy melts in. It keeps it at the perfect temperature. When I'm doing lots of dipping around Christmas I even store leftover melts in it until the next time I need to dip.

I've also used the almond bark and found it very easy to work with. It sets up nice and hard. Sometimes Sam's Club stocks Ghiradelli dipping chocolate around Christmas time. It comes in a 10-12inch brick, about 1/2 inch thick. I've used the double chocolate and the white chocolate with no problems, and it tastes wonderful!

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:29pm
post #10 of 15

yep, its just like the candy melts you buy in the store just in bark form. Its really great to work with, its all i use now...and its cheaper, a bonus!!

Starkie Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:11pm
post #11 of 15

Thank you all so much for your advice!!!! I made orange-cranberry cake truffles this morning, and I chilled them after rolling them up. Then I put some hot water in my crock pot and melted some Almond Bark in the microwave. I put the melted chocolate bowl into the crock pot to keep it warm. Then I dipped my chilled truffles into the chocolate, and they are PERFECT!!!! Thank you all so much for your wonderful tips!!!

BigTexinWV Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:07pm
post #12 of 15

what I do when making cake balls (cake mistakes as I call them) is after making the balls I stick a tooth pick in them and freeze them for about an hour. After I dip them I stick the toothpick side in styrofoam. They look like lollipops. After the chocolate dries then carefully take the toothpick out, and place the side with the hole on the bottom, or decorate on top of it. this is easy clean up. I save my styrofoam for about 5 uses. Hope it helps.

cakedout Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:42pm
post #13 of 15

OMG had me laughing so hard!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

OK, seriously now... I want to know about the orange-cranberry ones you just made. They sound yummy-what did you use to make them? Orange cake and a cranberry buttercream?? Do tell.

Starkie Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:42am
post #14 of 15

Cakedout, I used the DH Orange Supreme cake mix and added some fresh orange zest to it before baking. Once it was finished and cooled, I chopped up some dried cranberries (probably about 1/2 to 3/4 cup worth), and then used powdered creamer mixed with hot water to act as the binder. Rolled 'em, froze 'em, dipped 'em, and sold 'em!

Starkie Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:44am
post #15 of 15

Cakedout, I used the DH Orange Supreme cake mix and added some fresh orange zest to it before baking. Once it was finished and cooled, I chopped up some dried cranberries (probably about 1/2 to 3/4 cup worth), and then used powdered creamer mixed with hot water to act as the binder. Rolled 'em, froze 'em, dipped 'em, and sold 'em!

Quote by @%username% on %date%