I Am Closing The Shop (Sorry...long)

Business By misterc Updated 14 May 2008 , 5:18pm by misterc

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:48pm
post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Take the time to check into making videos, or teaching. You have a talent that you just need to find a way to maximize. Rarely do opportunities come looking for us. You've made the best decision for you and your family, and I applaud you. Now, start thinking and planning for what's ahead of you! All of us at CC will be wishing you the best!

Like I said earlier, I wouldn;t even know where to begin with teaching or making videos. I will have to look into it though. I don't know what I would do a video on, I don't really feel like I have anything new to offer. There are already so many fabulous resources. I will have to think about it. Thanks for all your support!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:39pm
post #32 of 47

The woman I buy my icing from teaches in order to supplement her income, and does very well. She works thru the local community college, and teaches a 5 week course on beginning cake decorating. It's $95 (I think) for the course. There are always people looking to learn this hobby, and you could teach different levels. Try putting up a flyer at your church, school, or hospital to see if there are people interested. Anywhere you find a good number of women, put up a flyer! You could do one or two nights a week, or a Saturday afternoon. What's so great about being the teacher is you get to set the rules! All the best to you.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:19am
post #33 of 47

I think your cakes are beautiful. Without realizing it, I have several in my "faves" and you were kind enough to answer a question I had about one.

I'm sure you didn't make this decision lightly, and your posting is instructional in itself. Many hobbyists like myself come home glowing from compliments from friends and family and think, "hey, I SHOULD do it for a living". We haven't lived the reality like you and others who post about the Bride-Zillas, the no-shows, the cheapskates and all the rest.

I'm sad that there will be fewer of your wonderful cakes for us to look at, but thank you for your courage to put your thoughts out there for us to learn from.

I hope you have good luck whatever you do - maybe teaching like the others have suggested - even change your mind icon_smile.gif

Thank you.

zumbacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zumbacakes Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:31am
post #34 of 47

I saw your cakes--you are talented. Have you every thought about teaching or giving workshops?

Zarah

blackice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blackice Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:51am
post #35 of 47

I too live in Cache Valley and hear what you are saying. You cakes are amazing and you are very talented!!! All the brides seem to want the "friend and family discount". I've done some weddings cakes, but nothing like yours!! Have you ever advertised out of the valley? I would be interested in classes if you ever decide to teach. Myself and a friend signed up for the gumpaste and fondant class that Kitchen Kneads was doing, but the canceled it because there was only three of us who signed up.

misterc Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:01am
post #36 of 47

Thank you again everyone. Your kind words mean a lot to me.

Zarah- I grew up in Lawton, Ok. What part of Oklahoma are you from.

Blackice- I would love to teach but like I said before, I don't know where I would start. I have learned everything I know from books or CC. I would kind of feel like an ameture teaching other people when I feel like I am constantly improvising and asking others for advice. Put that aside- we ought to get together for lunch. Us decoraters have to stick together!

supremecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supremecakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:50am
post #37 of 47

Are you planning on keeping your web site - maybe to do an occasional cake?

misterc Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:02am
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremecakes

Are you planning on keeping your web site - maybe to do an occasional cake?

I haven't decided yet. I love having my website but I don't know if it is worth paying for the service if I'm not doing cakes for more then just close family and friends. I'll let you know when I decide.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:31am
post #39 of 47

I just wanted to add in my two cents: you are an extremely talented cake decorator and it's a real shame that Northern Utah residents don't realize the valuable asset they have in you and your talents. Truly they are the ones who will be missing out - it's a pity they don't realize all the effort and ingredients (and talent and time) that goes into these cakes. I really wish Ace of Cakes would show a cake from beginning to end so that more of the general public can see what goes into these edible works of art.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you won't be leaving CC. Enjoy the new found time with your family!

P.S. I think the idea of teaching either at a craft store, a bakery or a college is a wonerful idea!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:54am
post #40 of 47

[quote="misterc"]I have learned everything I know from books or CC. I would kind of feel like an ameture teaching other people when I feel like I am constantly improvising and asking others for advice.quote]

Don't short-change yourself! You have a very real talent that many people, no matter how hard and long they practice, will never come close to! Even the "professionals" ask for help sometimes. Be confident, and your students will be grateful for all the knowledge you can give them.

supremecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supremecakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:29pm
post #41 of 47

If you decide to give up you site, we have a photo gallery section I
maintain for cake makers who want to demo their cakes. It gives
you a lot of the benefits of a web site without the expense or work.

In the USA the index page is:

http://www.supremecakes.com/cakemembers21.html

Just send some photos as email attachments. BOB

misterc Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:34am
post #42 of 47

Thank you everyone! You all sure have made my day. Thank you so much for all of the nice compliments! I will have to think about the teaching thing. It could be fun.

Zombiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zombiecakes Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:12pm
post #43 of 47

Misty, I have several of your cakes in my favorites--you have big talent! I'm sorry your community isn't large enough to support a custom artist like you. I hope things work out for you.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:53pm
post #44 of 47

i have several of your cake designs in my favs!!

i agree that you should consider selling instruction sheets for your cakes...you have an immense amount of talent and i am quite sure that, with a little soul searching, you will find the right medium to share what you have been blessed with!

i will definitely buy your instruction sheets!!

so, give it a shot! try preparing just one instruction sheet, pleasssssssssssse! they dont have to be super-detailed and elaborate.

maybe talk to fellow CC'ers like jennifermi (teaching), sugarshack (DVDs), or aine2 (online tutorials) and ask them how they do it.

misterc Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:51am
post #45 of 47

Thanks again everyone! The more you talk the more I think I might try some informationals or something. I don't know exactly what to do but thanks for all the advice and kind words!

deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:29pm
post #46 of 47

I'm truly sorry that you had to come to this decision. I hope that you will continue to do cakes and post them here. Your Orchids and Lace cake was a the inspiration to one of the wedding cake I did for my daughter in law. I'm sure the people in the area will miss you and your cakes but family is the most important thing. Good luck.

misterc Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:18pm
post #47 of 47

I finally cancelled my website service. I have a blog now instead, if you want to check it out it is http://sweetelegancecakes.blogspot.com
It is for displaying my work and hopefully have how tos with informationals and videos. I am still working on that.
Cancelling my website sure does make it feel official. I have 9 cakes left to finish and then I will be done. I am really looking forward to doing cakes for fun and not a business. Thanks for all your support!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%