Wedding Cake Samples For Bridal Fair???

Decorating By lmn4881 Updated 1 Jan 2015 , 5:49pm by leah_s

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 16

Could someone please tellme how this is done and what the best way is to go about it? I don't usually do samples so I'm not sure!

15 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 16

just do a filled sheet cake, well several depending on how big the show is. Then make sure to have something to serve them on, i have seen them done on plates, napkins even cup cake liners. and some forks to eat with. Keep the samples small 1x1s usually.

lmn4881 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 16

How many different flavors?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 16

I did a small show last January. I baked a sheet cake and started cutting 1x1 squares, but those were actually a little big .... I was going for the 1-2 bite size, so I cut them down to slightly under 1". Worked great. I put them in small cups with lids (like tartar sauce cups). I had plastic forks. Very easy to grab a cup & fork and hand one to Bride B while continuing my conversation with Bride A. It gave Bride B something to do while I finsihed up with Bride A.

I didn't fill mine .... and I only had one flavor. white cake with white icing. Simple. No one is clammering to "let me try THAT one .... now THAT one .... now the OTHER one". It's a SAMPLE ... it shows them I can bake.

When putting them together, I lined the cups up in the bussing tub, filled the cups with cake, then took the decorating bag and just squirted a dollop of icing on top.

I think the number of flavors is up to you and how big the show is.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 16

I usually do a big sheet cake and give it a coat of icing and cut them in bite size pieces. I do maybe a butter one and a chocolate one..And really how man you do depends on how big the show is!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 16

I make mini cupcakes and put a little swirl of icing on top to make them look pretty. I usually do three different flavored cakes - vanilla, chocolate and maybe a lemon or coconut (something a tiny bit different) and then I use Swiss Meringue and Chocolate buttercreams and put buttercream swirls on the tiny cupcakes, mixing the different icings and the cakes to give off different flavorings. Then I take a 5-tier cupcake stand and have all of the little cupcakes around the cupcake stand and just refill as needed. I put some napkins around the cupcake tower and when folks stop by, they can just take a napkin and pop a mini in their mouth.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:41am
post #7 of 16

I just finished a show this weekend, I made sheet cakes, did not fill them, just iced the tops and cut into 1 x 1 pcs. I couldn't get my hands on any of the little plastic cups w/lids, but did find some favor boxes, I put them inside the boxes, used several colors and made a star on each piece inside, slapped a label w/my info on the box, and placed them on the table to be taken by the BTB and guests. Everyone was happy that they didn't have to walk holding a napkin/paper plate and try to eat and look around at the same time. They were able to put them into their bags and eat it later, and they had the information where it came from when they got home too. HTH.

Donna

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 16

I also do the little cups. I am horrible at cutting cake and trying to talk to people. No one wants to shake your hand if you have icing all over it. Plus if you are making a mess out of the cake, that's not attractive either.

I usually do 3 flavors. Chocolate, Spice or White, and some kind of specialty flavor. I think it also depends on how big the show is that you are doing.

lmn4881 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 16

Where can you get those little cups?

indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 16

at any restaurant supply...

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 16

they are the mini-muffin baking cups; you can get them at Michael's or a store similar to it; they even come in really nice colors and designs- Wilton has them. and if you have a 24-count mini-muffin pan, the baking goes much faster because they bake in less than 10 minutes.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 16

You can also get them at Sam's Club, if you hae one local.

I have previously used the 2-oz size. Those seem to work best for a 1" sized piece of cake or smaller.

lmn4881 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 16

I found them here in town, at a local restaurant supply store and they are $4.02 for a sleeve of 200 cups. Does that sound about right? they also have cups ranging from 1 0z to 4 oz. Is the 2 oz cup the best size?

indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:11pm
post #14 of 16

2 oz is what I use, too.

MichaelaRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichaelaRod Posted 1 Jan 2015 , 3:30pm
post #15 of 16

AHow many bite sized peices can you get out of one sheet cake?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Jan 2015 , 5:49pm
post #16 of 16

depends on the size of the sheet cake.  generally try to cut 1 - 1 1/2" square.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%