Alternatives To Lunch Meat?

Lounge By adonisthegreek1 Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 10:19pm by adonisthegreek1

adonisthegreek1 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 11

Do any of you have any ideas on packing lunches that don't include lunch meat? Lunch meat is loaded with nitrates and MSG and usually high in sodium. I do shop at Whole Foods and buy organic lunch meat, but it doesn't come cheap. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

10 replies
KHalstead Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 11

peanut butter and jelly???? how about veggie wraps??? My kids love em' (i think they'd eat dog droppings if I put ranch dressing on them...sorry that's gross) I usually will shred up some carrots, slice cucumbers, and shredded lettuce..sometimes they want pickles in there too and a little ranch (one kid likes caesar dressing) and roll em' up.....sometimes I'll cut em' like sushi and put them in one of those crayola sandwich holders and give them a pair of chopsticks LOL crazy.......I'm also the mom that writes on their bread with my edible markers ......ah well.....least they know I love them

(picture the big "I LOVE YOU" on the sandwich and my kids trying to hide the words with their fingers as they scarf the food down) ; )

imagine76 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:25am
post #3 of 11

my daughter loves cheese sandwiches in her lunch (of course she's the kid who'll eat anything so she likes whatever she gets). string cheese also, baby carrots, raisins, apple slices w/peanut butter are a big hit, soup in a little thermos, sun chips, craisins, she loved having clementines this winter, i usually throw in a little hershey kiss and a note ('cause i'm corny like that), the aforementioned wraps are good, real salami, jell-o, pudding, berries,

now i'll be brainstorming this all night!

Cakepro Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:55am
post #4 of 11

How about dusting off the crock pot and making roast beef? Or roast a chicken...or bake a pork loin...or make a roasted veggie/cream cheese spread...all of these are great in sandwiches! Throw in an apple and cup 'yogurt or pudding and the kiddos are good to go!

All of these are good alternatives to sodium- and nitrate-loaded lunchmeat.

Ironbaker Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:02am
post #5 of 11

Good ol' peanut butter and jelly or tuna!

shisharka Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:59am
post #6 of 11

Tortellini! Thatâs one of the very few foods my son would actually eat. Trader Joeâs has his favorites. They can be eaten with fingers out of a zip lock bag (yeah, very civilized, I know, thankfully he doesnât like souse so we get away with a touch of butterâ¦) Theyâre are perfectly fine without reheating.

I also second the wraps idea, with a twist: I make a spread of cream cheese and pureed veggies (to the point of my picky eater not being able to decipher there are veggies in there) and generously cover a sheet of Lavash bread, then roll, cut into 1â circles and pierce each with a toothpick â or rather miniature plastic sword. Easy to eat and quite nutritious, it sounds bigger pain to make that it actually is. You can do whatever spread you wish, it the presentation is what gets it eaten!

And lastly, cheese omelet is a good load of protein⦠Can be sandwiched, though my guy likes it by itself, cut in wedges like pizza. BTW, he has a bento box from www.laptoplunches.com and I found it to be the best thing under the sun for kids lunches, some good pictures on their site of packed lunches for inspiration, too.

Ironbaker Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 11

Oh cool, thanks for posting that Shisharka! I have no kids but that would be cook for myself. icon_lol.gif

lardbutt Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:18am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shisharka

And lastly, cheese omelet is a good load of protein⦠Can be sandwiched, though my guy likes it by itself, cut in wedges like pizza. BTW, he has a bento box from www.laptoplunches.com and I found it to be the best thing under the sun for kids lunches, some good pictures on their site of packed lunches for inspiration, too.

Cool site! Did you see the last meal on the right side in the gallery? The fingers, eyeball and bats? icon_eek.gif

adonisthegreek1 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for the replies and the web link. My kids do love salad, tuna and peanut butter. BTW, I don't have to "dust off the crockpot" LOL. I use it all the time. I just hate sending anything, even organic lunchmeat that will have to sit in their lockers for 3 hours before lunch time. There's no refrigeration or microwaves. My youngest is only 5 and she keeps forgetting not to throw away the ice pack.

punkinpie Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:09am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

Thanks for the replies and the web link. My kids do love salad, tuna and peanut butter. BTW, I don't have to "dust off the crockpot" LOL. I use it all the time. I just hate sending anything, even organic lunchmeat that will have to sit in their lockers for 3 hours before lunch time. There's no refrigeration or microwaves. My youngest is only 5 and she keeps forgetting not to throw away the ice pack.

Could you freeze a juice box instead of using an ice pack? Then they can drink the juice at lunch.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 11

Using the juice box as an ice pack is an excellent idea. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%