I Need To Make White Hydrangeas? Any Clue How?

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 9 May 2008 , 3:34am by Dru329

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 15

what cutter do I need and technique and such...i havent made these yet...i am guessing they are not too hard I just need to know what I need to get and do! Thanks!

April :0) i'll add an attachment to the cake that I am doing...so you can see the flowers...
LL

14 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 15

I don't think they're too difficult to make, but I don't know for sure as I haven't made them yet myself.

There is another member whose cake is in the galleries and she's made them. Maybe you could PM her and ask. Her name is Peggylicious.

Here's her cake:http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1046543.html

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 15

I bought a press at globalsugarart.com. It came with the cutter and the veiner.
First impression has a veiner to.
Here is my cake...
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1199713

Hope this helps
Edna thumbs_up.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 15

They made some on Martha Stewart yesterday out of clay. it looked like something that could be done out of fondant or gumapaste. they have instructions on her website

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 15

Hello April icon_smile.gif

I just received my Hydrangea cutter and mold today icon_smile.gif ...

here is the page on GSA site icon_smile.gif

http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=hydrangea+cutter

I hope this helps you icon_smile.gif

Christi

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 15

I took a hydrangeas class with Chef Lori of Wildflowers by Lori.
You dont need a cutter, or a special tool to make them. I infact dont even have the correct veiner but used a veiner for an orchid and had the same results. And believe me, they look realistic when their done! You can see the flower basket I did for my mom's party (this weekend infact) and see how realistic they look!
I can give you some instructions if you'd like, just pm me.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 15

this tutorial is fabulous (for more than just hydrangeas) . . . the video is long but about 3/4 of the way through it touches on hydrangeas and the info preceding is very interesting as well . . . http://www.wildflowersbylori.com/Meet%20Lori.htm

and for those of you interested in a buttercream method . . .
http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/decorate/decorate_3.html#

edited to fix link thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 15

Oh you dont need a cutter or a veiner...but I tell you this..you move a lot faster and is easier for beginners. I know how to make them without them. I just go for faster!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 15

Dragonflydreams is that the spot she did on Sugar Rush? The only thing she doesnt show how to do in that is she pinches it a bit so that it folds up on itself on some of them so that when you wire them together, you have some that are fully open and some that arent.

tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 15

Yeah that the other way dragonfly..Is a little more time consuming..but if you have the time..works wonderful!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 15

thanks so much!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:44pm
post #12 of 15

The Martha Stewart video is excellent! I know you could make these out of gumpaste or a mixture with fondant. Just type in Clay Hydrangeas in the search engine on Martha Stewart website.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:35am
post #13 of 15

I just checked out both Martha Stewart's site and watched how her guest taught her to make the clay hydrangeas and I also watched the one of Lori from Wildflowers on Sugar Rush and they're surprisingly similar techniques and neither of them uses a cutter (though it might be a little faster - maybe - with the cutter, but it would be negligible).

Thanks for pointing out these videos to us. And, aprilcake, thanks for asking the question/posting this topic.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:11am
post #14 of 15

Those videos are great! I love the cupcakes too!

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:34am
post #15 of 15

Boy am I glad I found this..perfect timing...thanks dragonflydreams for the links!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%