Suggestions/advice Needed- Desperately!!!

Decorating By krazykat_14 Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 10:53pm by BROOKSIE007

krazykat_14 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 13

Ok, made this cake for a baby shower for family over the weekend. Mom-to-be insisted on BC- which I suck at! Is there any way to get crumbs out of the BC once they're there or is the only way not to get them in there in the first place?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on fillings? Right now, I use faux mousse fillings (pudding mix and Dream Whip) but it's getting kind of boring and people are starting to comment on the pudding.... icon_redface.gif
LL

12 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 13

Firstly, your cake is adorable! Love the design and colors!

As for the second issue, that's easy. Have you done to the recipes section and looked under fillings? There are dozens upon dozens. I'm sure you'll find a few to use in place of pudding.

As for your first issue, those darned crumbs. Did you crumb coat your cake before icing it? You might also consider using a pastry brush before that and just lightly brushing your cake to get the very loose crumbs off right away. The crumb coat (sorry if you already know this) is a very light coating of icing (I usually water mine down a bit) that's put on the cake first. Then I refrigerate the cake to let that set up a bit. Probably 15-30 minutes or so. I then do my main icing coat. Haven't had a problem with crumbs in a long time (since I started doing it this way).

HTH

ChefAngie Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 13

By using the icer tip-smooth and a serrated edge
and an 18-inch bag.
There is no need to crumb coat .
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

step0nmi Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 13

as sugar_plum_fairy suggested the best way is to make yourself a crumb coat...and also make sure that you are not touching the cake when you are applying your frosting! This is something I didn't know and when I started doing it I had NO MORE crumbs at all!

MacsMom Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 13

Ditto on the crumb coat. For fillings, I buy the sleeve fillings and layer them over a "cheeecake" filling that I make by using cheesecake pudding whipped into Frostin Pride (Smart&Final carries it).

There is also a wonderful raspberry white chocolate filling using raspberry preserves that is to die for in the recipe section here.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefAngie

By using the icer tip-smooth and a serrated edge
and an 18-inch bag.
There is no need to crumb coat .
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

The only thing with this method is that you need to put a moderately thick coat of icing on the cake if you don't crumb coat first. When I use the icing tip I still crumb coat so that I have more "wiggle room" to take off excess icing and try to get the smoothest finish possible.

krazykat_14 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 13

Unfortunately, I did use that stupid icer tip- I don't have my 18" bag yet, though, so I used a 2 gallon freezer bag- what a mess.

My problem at the time was that the bottom layer is an 8" round, but I had an 8" and two 9" pans... so I just trimmed the 9" cakes... that's where the crumbs came from... stupid cakes... is it really THAT wrong to freeze cakes? I've done that before and they don't crumb up like these did (they were only refrigerated)...

suzzana Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 13

Very nice cake!
I recently purchased Sugarshack's dvd about buttercream and it has been a tremendous help to me.

tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 13

I dont use the icer tip..Just make sure your icing is in a medium to thin consistency(not thin) and give a white icing crumbcoat..Then put it in the fridge so the icing hardens. When it does..make some color icing and give it a second coat. If you see the white icing under the color, it means you are touching your crumb coat. I teach this to my students and it works like a charm!

Brujalita Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:38pm
post #10 of 13

The cake icer tip is the only thing I use to ice cakes with - including chocolate cakes with white BC.

Krazykat_14: if you intend on using the cake icer tip, you almost have to have the 16" bag, IMO. I think it's worth the investment to not have to hassle with any other type of bag. I've never had to put a crumb coat before using the tip. I keep the edge of the tip closest to the cake close to the cake and kind of angle out the outside edge of the tip. This makes sure I get an even coat of icing all the way around that's not too thick because you can control the outer angle of the tip. I don't like thick icing on my cakes and this gives me just the right thickness.

I also don't refrigerate/freeze any of my cakes and I haven't had any problem with crumbs or lack of moistness. I think refrigerating/freezing is more of a personal preference.

tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:52pm
post #11 of 13

Well..brujalita..is not necesary.. basically if you are starting or having issues with coating your cakes it does help. Things just move a lot faster when the icing is set in. I have to do between 5 to 13 weddings every week and is nice to take one out of the fridge and is set hard and it moves fast!..
But not at all necessary.. and yes is a matter of preference.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:53pm
post #12 of 13

I think the main thing, with almost any technique, is to use the one that feels the most comfortable and, of course, works. So you may want to try the suggestions here and see what works best for you. icon_smile.gif

BROOKSIE007 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:53pm
post #13 of 13

I crumb coat my cakes with a thinner frosting first. It just goes on really good without causing more crumbs. Then I stick it in the fridge or if its big I just let it set for about 30-min to ah hour at room temp. Them I put the frosting on. Just use light strokes when spreading it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%