Good Cake/icing Combo?

Baking By christidarling Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 1:38am by Rendee

christidarling Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a WASC cake with chocolate fondant for a baby shower. What would be a good filing?

8 replies
mom42ws Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 9

maybe a mousse or raspberry filling?

yummymummy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 9

I'm gonna say peanut butter mousse or cookies & cream.

alanahodgson Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:05am
post #4 of 9

I've done cookies and cream with chocolate cake and felt like the filling got lost in the flavor of the cake. I'm doing a peanutbutter mousse with chocolate soon. I get requests for raspberry mousse with chocolate. My favorite is chocolate ganache, whipped or not. Very rich and decadent. You can flavor the ganache with raspberry or orange extract (or liquer). Yum!

christidarling Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:10am
post #5 of 9

Does chocolate ganache need to be refrigerated? How does that work with the fondant?

alanahodgson Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:15am
post #6 of 9

I guess chocolate ganache needs to be refrigerated. I wouldn't worry about it spoiling like say a mousse, though. I think it's more shelf stable than that, but that's JUST my OPINION. I wouldn't leave it out overnight, but several hours I think would be fine. I always refrigerate my fondant cakes. I would never transport a cake that was not refrigerated-too unstabel. Condensation develops when you take them out of the fridge, but it will evaporate and the fondant will be fine. Just try not to touch it when it's wet or you'll leave marks.

christidarling Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the advice! Alana, I LOVE your cakes - especially the poodle cake! I have my baby girls nursery in poodles & eiffel towers!

Christi

alanahodgson Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:17am
post #8 of 9

You're very welcome! And thanks for the compliments. I was very happy when my daughter picked that design over spongebob. I really didn't want to do a spongebob cake for her birthdayicon_smile.gif. By the way, I do know how to spell, usually. Sometimes I guess I'm just not too STABLE!!

Rendee Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:38am
post #9 of 9

As far as the ganache goes, are you wanting to pour it or spread it? If you are wanting a spreadable consistancy, leave it out at room temp, it will be ok cause of all the sugar in the chocolate and it cools and becomes like chocolate icing, if you refrigerate it, it will be rock hard and then you will have to microwave it to get it back to the consistency you are looking for. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%