How Many Servings...

Decorating By doreenre Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 3:45pm by cinjam

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 5

...are there in a 9x13 two layer cake that's 4 inches tall? According to Wilton, it's 45, is that true?

DH took a cake I made (the intel cake in my photos) to work and it only fed 25-30.

Do I need to start sending cutting instructions? icon_rolleyes.gif

4 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:35am
post #2 of 5

The 9x13 is an enigma. According to wilton, it serves 45. When I do the math, I get 39. Mind you, I'm not good at math.

That said, most people don't know how to cut a cake and cut big honking slices!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:23am
post #3 of 5

agree ... most people cut a cake like they are PMS'ing in front the TV (me? I just pick up the cake and one fork as I walk thru the kitchen! icon_lol.gif )

For square / rectangle cakes, it's easy to do the math .... 1x2x4 is the standard serving size. To achieve this, you'd cut the 9x13 into 9 rows (1") and 6 columns (2"). 9x6 = 54. SOunds like wilton uses the 1.5x2x4, which would result in slightly fewer pieces.

If they got 30 pieces, then they cut this 2-layer cake into 5 rows by 6 columns ... approx 2x2x4. That's roughly the size of a brick. icon_lol.gif

I posted this on another thread earlier, but I had a wedding last weekend where they ordered cake for 125 and only had about 60 show up. I normally cut the cake at my weddings and I use the 1x2x4 size. I get a lot of folks asking for smaller pieces. So at this past wedding, with such a low turnout, I was cutting the pieces much bigger and guests were on the verge of complaining about how big they were.

If you are sending a cake in to a non-wedding function, and if you are going by any cake serving chart, you need to specify "this cake will serve XX, when it's cut in 1x2x4 serving sizes. If you cut them bigger, expect to yield fewer pieces." Especially cakes going to hubby's work. icon_rolleyes.gif Especiallly if a cake civilian is cutting it. icon_wink.gif

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks Indydebi, I'll start doing that. I don't want people to think I'm shorting them servings if they yield fewer b/c of "civilian" cutting.

icon_smile.gif

cinjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinjam Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Especiallly if a cake civilian is cutting it. icon_wink.gif

That was very funny & very true!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%