Hats Off To You Cupcakers

Decorating By doreenre Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 2:03am by HerBoudoir

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 7

Last week I received an order for 80 cupcakes for today. Oh man, did I struggle with these. It's one thing to decorate one cake, but 80 -- I thought I was going to die.

So, kudos to those of you who make cupcakes your speciality. I certainly don't have the heart to give each cupcake the detail it deserves.

6 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:33am
post #2 of 7

LOL me either! Wow - 80 cupcakes would kill me!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:33am
post #3 of 7

Oh you are scaring me! I just got an order for 150 cupcakes for a wedding - yiikes!

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 7

I also just took an order for 150 cupcakes for a wedding ! I will also be doing a 6" layer cake for the cake cutting ceremony which will sit on the top tier. icon_smile.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 7

Interesting...I'd rather do cupcakes than a cake, more often than not! icon_smile.gif

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 7

How did you decorate the cupcakes? Were they very ornate? (Hint: show us a picture!)

I ask because I'm probably going to volunteer to make ~100 cupcakes for my son's kindergarten graduation. Last year I made cake for ~100 and I was thinking that the cupcakes would be easier? But these will be a swirl of buttercream and some small decoration.

Thanks,
Debbie

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:03am
post #7 of 7

For something like a kid's graduation, I think cupcakes are perfect. They're also a LOT less trouble to divy up when it comes time!

While it'll still take some time, a swirl with a few jimmies will be perfect. They WILL take a lot more frosting than you think (the high frosting to cake ratio of a cupcake is part of the charm). For 100 cupcakes, I would go with 2.5 lbs of butter with 5 lbs of sugar - that should be plenty without a lot of leftover.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%