Labratory Week

Decorating By abismumma Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 6:08pm by abra526

abismumma Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 6

I work in a hospital lab and we have lab week in a couple of weeks. I am going to do a cake for the day we show everyone what the lab is all about. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do? We have had a few ideas so far. I could do a test tube or a blood vial and use a red velvet cake. Thanks for the help.

5 replies
CreamPuffGal Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 6

When I think of hospital labs, I think of test tubes, blood vials so you're definitely on the right track -- love the red velvet cake idea.

How about microscopes? Maybe you can do a picture of a microscope -- or make a 3D cake of one, depending on your level of expertise.

I also think of urinalysis collection, but we won't go there. LOL LOL LOL

smitakasargod Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 6

You could make a lab coat with a test tube sticking out of the pocket.

Finesse457 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:40am
post #4 of 6

Hi, I work in the lab too. For lab week we are having a cake/cookie decorating contest. I plan on making a lab coat, if you do a search in the gallery you will find plenty of good ones. Some other ideas I've heard people talking about are cookies in the shape of blood drops with the blood type piped on them ( I imagine the petal shaped cookie cutter would be perfect for this) and one other idea, kind of bold, but a cake in the shape of a sperm.

I'd love to hear more ideas, its fun to know someone else works in a lab too.

jennicita Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:39am
post #5 of 6

Personally I've been wondering how it would look to do a meandering spiral of fondant DNA ...
Done right it could look really cool, be a bit of work, though.

abra526 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 6

I am a phlebotomist at our local hospital, and for my supervisor's bday last month, I made him a sheet cake with a butterfly needle, attached to the syringe. There was blood squirting out of the needle that said "happy birthday". It turned out pretty cute, and he enjoyed it. Last year for lab week we had a specimen look alike contest, and I won after decorating a cake to look like yeast infection under a microscope. We are a unique group of people, aren't we?

Quote by @%username% on %date%