Spice Cake

Decorating By lu9129 Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 10:05pm by Euphoriabakery

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 15

Can anyone tell me how to dr. a boxed spice cake? Would appreciate asap. I am still trying to pull together somewhat of a birthday for my daughter and sister.

Thank you so much.

Lu

14 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 15

What are you wanting to do with it? I doctor my spice cake to make it a bit heavier by using a recipe I found on here - the cake mix, 1/3 cup softened butter, 4 eggs, and one cup of milk. Some people add a four-serving box of instant pudding and one extra egg to make a more stable cake. Maybe a butterscotch or vanilla pudding mix for a spice cake?

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:21am
post #3 of 15

Thank you!

We used the WASC but left out the almond. It seemed to do ok. Everyone liked it. I needed it to be more of a pound cake consistency for carving.
I made a coke glass with a can of coke pouring into it above. It turned out pretty good considering the short time I had to get it done. I will upload when one of the kids has time.

Thank you for answering.

Lu

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:46am
post #4 of 15

i got a recipe from c/c recipes. it is called , spice cake extender with cream cheese icing. i have not tried it, but it looks like it would be delicious. hth

Steffen74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steffen74 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:56am
post #5 of 15

Try the sour cream spice cake on CC in the recipes. You use a yellow cake mix and add a bunch of spices and sour cream, and it is soooooo good. Every time I make it everyone loves it! Super moist, right amount of "spiciness", etc.

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 15

when i doctor a spice cake i either make it a pumpkin spice or an apple spice cake. For a special added spice i add cin, nutmeg, and a touch of cloves to my bc.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:27pm
post #7 of 15

People have also added grated carrot to spice cake, to make carrot cake. I haven't tried it yet, but I could find a recipe for you online, if you wish.

Personally, I wonder how adding bananas would work, to make a banana spice cake.

After chocolate, banana cake and carrot cake close runner-up in the My Faves department.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

I doctor my spice cake to make it a bit heavier by using a recipe I found on here - the cake mix, 1/3 cup softened butter, 4 eggs, and one cup of milk.

Tracy, that sounds good! But when you said some people add a 5th egg and small pudding to make it more stable is that a separate method than the first? Confusing enough? Sorry....

I haven't had good spice cake in years and years. It was a family favorite when my kids were little. That and cream cheese frosting. Oh yum! But I'd have to doctor a mix because alone I think alone the spice one is yucky. LOL I do think my tastes have changed over the last decade or so. Towards better quality.

Good question! I like it when you folks jump right in there with my questions!

playingwithsugar Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:26pm
post #9 of 15

Tracey -

Is that one cup of milk extra to the water already called for in the recipe, or is that in lieu of some of the water?

TIA -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 15

CarolAnn - those were two different doctored recipes - one with the butter, 4 eggs, one cup milk. The other was adding an extra egg to whatever is called for on the box, plus a box of pudding mix, plus whatever else is called for on the cake mix bo.

Theresa - the one cup milk is NOT in addition to anything on the back of the cake mix box. I take the cake mix and disregard anything on the back of it. I add 1/3 cup softened butter, one cup milk, and 4 eggs to the dry mix - ignoring completely the instructions on the back of the box.

playingwithsugar Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 15

Got it. Thanks!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:12pm
post #12 of 15

Hmm, I'm sitting here thinking I'm smelling banana bread/cake baking! Boy, am I impressionable!!

Thanks!

jenjens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenjens Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:40pm
post #13 of 15

Yummy, I have a mix of spice cake in the pantry I might just make it with some smashed bananas my kids haven't touched.

How would I got about adding the bananas to the recipe without altering the texture? Any ideas?

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:41pm
post #14 of 15

I always doctor my box spice cake by adding raisins and small pieces of apples. I also add maple flavouring to my frosting mmmmmmm maple and apples and spices oh my lol making me want some right now. lol

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:05pm
post #15 of 15

When I doctor a cake mix I add a small box of instant pudding, milk instead of the water called for, an extra egg, melted butter instead of the oil called for and flavorings of my choice(such as a teaspoon almond or vanilla extract, or other liquor). Sometimes I sub other liquids for some of the milk, like lemon juice and add a little lemon zest also. I've never done a spice cake mix but bet you could add some nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon. Maple flavoring or syrup might be nice in place of some of the milk and I would check out the instant pudding flavors and try to pick one that complimented those flavors, sometimes they have a cinnamon vanilla pudding, that would be good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%