Black Forest Cake- Bc Or Whipped Cream Icing??

Decorating By SugarBakers05 Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 1:42am by HerBoudoir

SugarBakers05 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 6

Hey there.. i just wanted some feedback. I'm doing a Black Forest cake for saturday, and debating on the icing part. I always have a tapedshut.gif time trying to get whipped cream icing to work. It either falls apart, or gets like soup from the get go. Now, if I do BC I wonder if it would mess up the overall taste of it. I was even thinking maybe doing SMBC because it's not as sweet. Any opiniosn would be appreciated, Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Ursula40 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:01am
post #2 of 6

Traditional Black forrest cake is made with a whipped cream icing flavoured with Kirschwasser (Schnaps) Anything else is not Black forrest. You can Stabilise the whipped cream with gelatin ( I have instant gelatine that I add to the whipping cream as I whip it) works great

SugarBakers05 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 6

OK then, I'll keep my fingers crossed and do the whipped cream! Thanks for the advice!

Ursula40 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 6

If it gets too hot, I don't make whipped cream cakes anymore, but if it's still cool out you should be ok. I'm making the last one this Saturday for this year, well untill late october then I'll make them again, just make sure that your bowl, cream and beaters are cold when you start to whip, it does make all the difference

kelsiedelizzle Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:26am
post #5 of 6

Do you use unflavored gelatin? Whenever I've made whipped cream icing, it says to heat/soak the gelatin first.

HerBoudoir Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:42am
post #6 of 6

GetTheCakeBibleGetTheCakeBibleGetTheCakeBibleGetTheCakeBibleGetTheCakeBibleGetTheCakeBibleGetTheCakeBibleGetTheCakeBibleGetTheCakeBibleGetTheCakeBibleGetTheCakeBibleGetTheCakeBible

That was your subliminal message for the day icon_smile.gif

When I make a Black Forest cake, I use the super-stabilized whipped cream from a certain book (actually I make the recipe for the cake). It works very well.

Soften 3 teaspoons powdered unflavored gelatin in 1/4 cup water for 5 minutes. Then microwave until gelatin is dissolved (just a few seconds, stir well).

Beat 3 cups heavy cream with 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. When the beater marks start showing in the cream, drizzle the gelatin into the cream in a slow stream while you keep beating until stiff peak.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%